Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cummings

Individual Detail Report Memo Variables

Relative to the Individual Detail Report: Discovered that non-formatting variables ([P], [D], [AE], etc.are not resolved in memos. OK in other reports. It appears that formatting variables ([bOLD:], [:CR:], etc.) are resolved in memos. Would I be correct to never use non-formatting variables in memos since I would never be sure when I may want to run an Individual Detail Report or is there a work-around for this situation?

Joe,

The Individual Detail Report, like the Family Group Sheet, does not use Sentences. As a result, it does not process Sentence Variables. the [bOLD:], [:CR:] codes you mention are not considered variables, but "printer codes," and are not part of Sentence processing.

I think you have two choices: 1) If you intend to use the ID report, refrain from using Variables, or 2) ignore the ID report and use variables whenever they are useful (my choice).

If you find this report's lack of expansion of the people variables in memos annoying, you might consider setting the options to not output any of the memo text. Since this report does not display the sentence template where information also may have been entered, I often choose to exclude the memo text. I just use this report to get a sense of what tags are assigned to a person. Note that there are two places in Report Options where you would need to exclude memos: obviously the "Memos" tab should select the option of "None", but also the "Miscellaneous" tab should not select "Embed sentence [M]emo".

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Will think about this and run some sample reports using each solution to decide on which is the approach I should use.