dorisw

Flags item in person window

The Flags tab no longer responds. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that TMG seems to open in Repair Mode every time I start it? The Flags function seems to operate in the background because my accents, etc., are OK, but I can no longer bring up the Flags window for a person.

Should I reinstall?

Thank you.

Doris

Select Window menu / Flags

then

Select Window menu / Center the current window

If the Flags window doesn't show, repeat the two steps.

One of those should bring the Flags window to the top.

Doris -

Do you normally include the Flag window in your layout?

If you click on the top menu - Window / Flags, does that activate the Flag window in your layout? Note that if you modify the layout to include the Flag window, you should save it with a new name so that modified layout will be available again.

Virginia

When you refer to the "Key" I assume you mean the field labeled "Key" in the Edit Flag window. If so, that is simply a memo field which you can contain any notes about the use of the Flag. It has no actual connection to the Values available in that Flag.

If the Key is wrong, open Flag Manager, from the File menu. Select the Flag in question and click the Edit button. The field labeled "Description" is the same as the one labeled "Key" in the Edit Flag window (I have no idea why they are labeled differently). Edit the contents of the Description field to suit. You can put anything you like there - notes on what the Flag is used for, an actual key to the allowed values, or anything else.

More detail would help concerning what you think is wrong. Flag values and keys can easily get out of sync when you import and/or merge datasets and projects. Flag values and keys can also be Language dependent, so changing languages (e.g. from U.S. to U.K.) might introduce differences. For details of the Flag feature in TMG you may wish to review that section of the Style chapter in my on-line book here. There is also a section in the Import/Export chapter which covers the issues concerning Flags when you merge datasets here.

Hope this gives you ideas,