kellymark14

TMG Gold Version 7.04 & Windows 10

​I am/was using 7.04. This past week, my husband installed Windows 10. Now, I am locked out of my data base. When I tried to log into 7.04 after the Windows upgrade, I received a message stating that my trial version had expired and I needed to buy a newer version. At that point, I found out that TMG is no longer being made. Please help me find an upgrade so that I can access my data! I'm more than willing to buy a newer version. Or, at the very least, find a way to export my data base to another genealogy program.

TMG v7.04 will run just fine under Windows 10 with a couple of minor issues. One is the registration being removed. Another is that the Wholly Genes PDF driver won't work without some workarounds. It's not needed. Use the report [Print] option and the Microsoft PDF driver to generate PDF files.

You need to select the TMG shortcut and right-click and select 'Run as administrator' and unlock running as administrator. Then exit the program and run TMG normally. This issue began with Windows 8.

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response to Helen's query.

Regarding your first suggestion:

When we first open TMG the "Expired trial version" window pops up. When selecting the "Unlock the full version now" button, I've tried the three options (web download, phone order & other). I have all the pertinent info for those options but they don't unlock the full version. When TMG does open, the "Report" tab allows no selection. Also, "print" is not listed there.

Regarding the second:

Selecting "Run as Admin..." does not have an "unlock" feature? When selected, we get the warning asking if we want to run this unknown file. When running it just goes back to the expired trial version.

You mentioned workarounds? Any suggestions or possible links to trusted free downloads of versions 7-9?

Also, Helen is open to moving her data to another program. Any ideas which programs use the SQZ files?

Thanks for any further assistance on this matter.

Mark

Mark,

The reason you are getting the "Expired Trial Version" is because the unlock code has not been recognized. That's why the various options are unavailable. The most common reasons that an unlock code is not accepted is because of entering a current email address rather than the one used when the code was obtained, and using a code from a different version of TMG.

If you are successful in unlocking while running TMG after starting normally, Win 10 will remove the code again in short order. To solve this you have to use the "Run as Admin" trick. While TMG is still locked, right-click on the normal TMG shortcut and and select 'Run as administrator' to open the program. Then enter the correct registration information. If you successfully unlock it it should remain permanently unlocked.

Terry explained how to unlock as administrator. Each version requires different registration information and you must use the correct information as received from Wholly Genes. (name, email address and registration code)

v8.08 and v9.04 full installers can be downloaded from this page...

http://www.whollygenes.com/upgrades.htm

These are not upgrades but are full installers.

Many TMG8 and TMG9 issues can be fixed by running the appropriate installer and selecting [Repair].

If you need a TMG v7.04 installer, ask and I'll put it on a server for you.

If you are interested in other programs, you should join the Refugees mail list and check the mail list archives.

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/Miscellaneous/TMG-REFUGEES.html

No program imports from a .SQZ file. RootsMagic 7 and Family Historian 6 will import from the files in a TMG project folder. Legacy 8 requires importing via a GEDCOM file. TMG v9.05 has a new GEDCOM export feature (Enhanced GEDCOM tag export) that adds additional data to aid moving to other programs.

TMG v7.04, v8.08 and v9.05 run fine under Windows 10. PDF report generation has issues but you can use the [Printer] button and use the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' driver so the TMG PDF driver isn't needed.

Jim & Terry,

Thank you for your inputs. The serial # I was using had clipped the last letter and therefore gave the error message. I found the correct # in a saved old email.

The correct serial # has been input and our TMG7 works fine per your instructions.

We are also looking at several of the programs suggested.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,

Mark & Helen

TMG 7.04 and Win 10. I have no disc to install 7.04 into my new computer. I upgraded from ver.5.0 via the internet some years ago. I have copied the files from my old laptop (Win XP) and pasted into the Win 10 Program Files (x86), selected the tmg7.exe file and get a message "missing msvcr71.dll file". I would prefer to stay with TMG as I have used it for many years, so can you suggest a solution for me? I still have the very long registration key for version 7.04. Thanks.

Pete,

You can't just copy the TMG files, as you discovered. You need to run the installer. Someone may be able to provide a copy of the TMG 7 installer for you.

A better solution, in my view, is to upgrade to TMG 9 while you can. If you do get TMG 7 installed you will find that you cannot send reports to your word processor because the report section of TMG 7 cannot run on 64-bit versions of Windows.

You can find details on how to get TMG 9 and article on my website

Pete,

I have the old installer file for Version 7.04 Gold US edition. Let me know if your registration key is for that version and you want it. But I agree with Terry that instead you should try to buy a Version 9.05 registration key while you still can.

If I can find a used copy of 7, 8 or 9 that would be good - get me off of 5 on XP to Win 10 at least. If I can find a used CD, did the box it came come with the monster key 25-30 char?

I have a similar problem, new computer using Windows 10, old version 7.0 that was transferred to new computer using a program to transfer all programs & files. TMG will open, but I cannot open my data files. All I get are lots of error messages. I do have the CD & SN, should I re-install it? Will that "unlock" it? I really want to stick with TMG. I have so much information in there that will not transfer to any other software.

What is the first error message you get (the ones after that don't count).

In any case, the program used to transfer the program probably didn't work properly. Are you really using 7.0 -- you never installed any of the free upgrades? If you did, installing 7.0 from the CD is not likely to work since the data files were last opened with a later version.

I'd suggest 1) you buy 9.05 while you can, or failing that, 2) you get the installer for the last update to 7 and install that. Your current serial number will work with that.

Jim or Terry, I need desperate help. I haven't used TMG for a number of years, but decided to go back into it to update and have found one problem after another. I have several instances of what I thought were backups of my family tree. The first PC I thought it was on, no longer functions. It was at that time I discovered Wholly Genes doesn't exist anymore (strike 2). I have 5 files on a disk I believed was my latest backup: NZFrank.fpt, NZFrank.pRO, NZLibry.SQZ, NZMultim.SQZ and NZProj.SQZ. I attempted to load the software v6 on another PC running Windows 7, but it said it was incompatible, so ran on another desktop running XP. When I tried to restore, it tells me "UNZIP Request: Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set." I don't have any other disks. I'm frantic that I've lost EVERYTHING.

Any suggestions you can give me?

Nancy

I can be reached at 864-719-0280

Nancy,

Jim will know better than me why you got the error message. I think it can happen when the SQZ file you are restoring is on a read-only volume. For best results, copy the SQZ file to the hard drive of the PC where you will restore it. Don't access it over the network or from a thumbdrive. (The thumbdrive may not be read only, but it may not have any available space on it, and TMG will use space on the same volume as the SQZ file is located.)

TMG backup files have the extension ".SQZ", so NZLibry.SQZ, NZMultim.SQZ and NZProj.SQZ are probably TMG backups.

Do the names indicate anything to you, i.e., can you guess which is more likely to be your main TMG project? Maybe they are all from your main TMG project?

You should probably restore all three and look at the contents to determine what is what.