douglev

Getting re-started with TMG

I am very grateful that all of you have been maintaining this forum. I have an SQZ datafile that was made with an old version of TMG (the disks that I can find are v4.0c). These are important data from an old research project, and I now need to extract the information. I would assume that it would be best to work with a newer version if possible, given all of the changes in Windows over the years. I see on this site that v9 installation files are available, but that registration information is needed. All that I have is my serial number from v4.0c. Can anyone advise me as to how I might proceed? Will my old serial number work with a v9 installation from the files posted on this site? If not, is there still any way to buy v9? I would be very grateful for any advice you could offer.

You're welcome, Doug.

But your thanks for maintaining the site belong mainly to Bob Velke, who is paying the bills. I and the others who are responding are volunteers who are just trying to help out.

Hello Terry,

I am somewhat in the same problem as DougLev is or was. I was a regular user of TMG back years ago, I was using version 6.12 . I have a ton of saved data on CD's. I was hurt bad at work and have been unable to use computer or do my genealogy till just this year. I was shocked to find TMG now gone. I do have my version 6 serial number. I was given a new computer by my spouse, and have tried to load in my version 6. But all I get is the expired trial version, I do have my old serial number but it tells me that it is to short??? I tried your posted links, I got to the RUG website only to find that they want $45.00 for v9 and serial number (I guess serial number, or whatever unlock number is now needed). I can not get the link for Harry Goegebeur to work, I only have AOL for email, and I can not get this computer with windows 10 to work the link. I am not a computer person at all! Can you give me a good email for Harry Goegebeur or let me know what you need from me to contact yourself or him. I have my name, email, address, etc for all my past purchses of Wholly Genes products, I was a user from the start.

Thank you in advance.

VMK

I do have my version 6 serial number. I was given a new computer by my spouse, and have tried to load in my version 6. But all I get is the expired trial version, I do have my old serial number but it tells me that it is to short???

That means you are using the wrong serial number. Either you have omitted part of it, or you are using a TMG4 or earlier serial number. Do you still have your TMG 6 on your old computer available? If so you can recover it from there. Use the Help > Technical Support command to create a Trouble Report. Copy that report to the new computer. Then near the top of that report you will see the serial number, which you can copy and paste into your new installation.

I tried your posted links, I got to the RUG website only to find that they want $45.00 for v9 and serial number (I guess serial number, or whatever unlock number is now needed).

I think that's about the regular price Wholly Genes charged for a non-upgrade version, which is what you are getting. That's what you would have had to pay WG if it was available there, since you did not buy version 7 or 8.

I can not get the link for Harry Goegebeur to work, I only have AOL for email, and I can not get this computer with windows 10 to work the link.

Harry's email appears in multiple posts here. It is harry.goegebeur@genea.be

But I think you will find him asking about the same price, since that is (was?) the regular WG price.

I'm sure this is not the correct place for this question but it's the only place I've found where I can do a submission!! I have v.9 TMG on my desktop - which I use as the master for my data - and my laptop. With V.8 I could direct the path on my laptop to the desktop (\\compname\users\owner\...) and write to the project file on the desktop. I have tried that with v9 and it doesn't work. I have tried a mapped drive to the Documents folder on the desktop, a mapped drive to The Master Genealogist folder, and a mapped drive to the projects file. None of them work. What do I need to do to set this up so I can write to the project stored on the desktop? Thanks!!

Hello again Terry,

Thank you so very much for your very quick and nice answers. I am going to try out some of them now. But, as I said I was long time user, I found my old screen name for here, it is "VKester", please look at see my sign in date there. I have all my original TMG discs, including v4 and v6. Now when I installed v6, it says "expired trial version". The only serial number I have (that I can find) is written on my v4 discs, it is an eight (8) alpha and numbers. The program tells me it is to short and incorrect. I installed my v4 disc of the program, but it will not take any of my backed up data.

My office room had been turned into my hospital bed room by my family when I got hurt, my kids took over my older computer which left the house with one of them when they moved out. I was not looking to get the v9 program, just my old correct serial number so that I can load in all my saved data, the way I was reading things I was guessing that possibly you or Harry would be able to help in that area. I do not mind paying for the v9 and going that route, which I guess I will need too.

Thank you again, Virgil Kester

I'm sure this is not the correct place for this question but it's the only place I've found where I can do a submission!! I have v.9 TMG on my desktop - which I use as the master for my data - and my laptop. With V.8 I could direct the path on my laptop to the desktop (\\compname\users\owner\...) and write to the project file on the desktop. I have tried that with v9 and it doesn't work. I have tried a mapped drive to the Documents folder on the desktop, a mapped drive to The Master Genealogist folder, and a mapped drive to the projects file. None of them work. What do I need to do to set this up so I can write to the project stored on the desktop? Thanks!!

Teri,

Why do you need a mapped drive? Why not just use the File > Open command from the laptop, navigate over the network to the copy of the Project on the desktop, and open it?

Thank you so very much for your very quick and nice answers. I am going to try out some of them now. But, as I said I was long time user, I found my old screen name for here, it is "VKester", please look at see my sign in date there. I have all my original TMG discs, including v4 and v6. Now when I installed v6, it says "expired trial version". The only serial number I have (that I can find) is written on my v4 discs, it is an eight (8) alpha and numbers. The program tells me it is to short and incorrect. I installed my v4 disc of the program, but it will not take any of my backed up data.

Virgil,

That will indeed be a version 4 serial number, which will not work in version 6. And no, you cannot open or restore a project used in a later version with an earlier version.

My office room had been turned into my hospital bed room by my family when I got hurt, my kids took over my older computer which left the house with one of them when they moved out. I was not looking to get the v9 program, just my old correct serial number so that I can load in all my saved data, the way I was reading things I was guessing that possibly you or Harry would be able to help in that area. I do not mind paying for the v9 and going that route, which I guess I will need too.

I understand that someone does still check the emails to Wholly Genes Support occasionally, and can generally retrieve lost serial numbers, though the process appears to not be quick.

On the other hand, there have been a number of new features since ver. 6, including the ability to output to Word Processors with a modern (that is one running a 64-bit version of Windows) computer. I suggest that while the opportunity remains to get ver 9 it would be a good idea to do so.

Teri,

Why do you need a mapped drive? Why not just use the File > Open command from the laptop, navigate over the network to the copy of the Project on the desktop, and open it?

Terry, thanks for your reply. I tried that and have the same issue. I was finally able to post this under "Is it possible to have TMG on several devices" I have the error code listed there.

I am trying to load TMG on a new computer. I have disks for versions 7, 8, and 9. The serial number for version 8 and 9 are almost the same except 9 has one addition letter in the serial number. According to the packing slip my version 9 disk is Upgrade TMG Gold v8 to Gold v9 and has unlock code. Problem is: when I try to unlock the full version I get the invalid info error or all info not entered. When I look at the Tech Support report to see if my info is correct I find the problem. There is only one first name and no last name on the account. It is the same way with my version 8 and 9. Thus when I try to unlock I do not have matching data for the name as there is no last name and it is a required field. I have tried entering a space or two in the last name field but that does not work either. Does any one have a work around for this problem?

Mary,

First, ignore everything but the last version. The "upgrade" refers to pricing, not to the program itself.

Next, ignore the disks you have, as they most likely are not the last update of the version. Instead, download the current installer from this website, at http://whollygenes.swmirror.com/tmg9setup.exe

Enter your name, email address, and serial number exactly as you find them shown on the packing slip.

If you are using Windows 8 or Windows 10, refer to the directions for entering the serial number on my website to avoid repeated requests to unlock the program.

Terry,

I appreciate your reply. I tried the download. I tried all the options of where I purchased the upgrade. My packing slip did not have an e-mail address, so I used the name in the Ship and Bill to, which is the same name as used in previous versions. I used the same e-mail as in previous versions. I have the Gold Unlock code correct and have it stored in a word processor. The code is the same as the code used in previous working versions on my XP machine. Have verified it several times.

When I view the support txt file the e-mail is the same as the one I am using, the code is correct, but the name is only "Tommy" with no last name. "Tommy" is the user name on the Windows 7 machine I am trying to load TMG.

Any other suggestions?

The registration codes for TMG7, TMG8 and TMG9 should all differ from one another. All three should be exactly 32 characters in length. And all fields on the unlock screen require that characters be entered. The last name, email, and registration code must be exactly as received from Wholly Genes. The first name content doesn't matter but a first name must be entered since the first name field can't be left blank. I don't believe that spaces will substitute for alpha characters in the name fields.

Did your registration information come from a dealer other than Wholly Genes?

If you try all possibilities and can't get TMG v9.05 unlocked, contact me by clicking on the email link below and we'll find some solution.

Jim Byram