Sign in to follow this  
hlhrhodes

Have Version 5, how to get to my database?

My old genealogy computer died and I got a laptop to work on. Unfortunately I can't install my version 5 on my new computer, which is running Windows version 8.1 and I can't open the DBF file in version 8 or 9 and I can't access my backup to move it to version 8 or 9. Do I have to start over with my family tree?

What TMG version are you running on your laptop?

ZIP up the folder with the project and I'll update it to a version that you can open with what you are running. Delete the .CDX files before making the ZIP file so that the ZIP file will be smaller.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

Thanks for your offer of help. I am in the process of obtaining a registration code for version 9 of TMG. My problem was that I could not find any of my backups from version 5 to restore to version 9. I finally remembered that I had saved my backups to my zip drive. I dug through my old computer stuff and was able to come up with a backup and a working zip drive to restore! I am extremely happy that I will be able to use my TMG again. No other program touches the capabilities of TMG and I was very sad to find that it was no longer being updated. So now I have a new laptop and a new version that I plan on using as long as I possibly can.

Thanks again!

Heather R.