EdGentley

Windows 10 installation problems

Hi,

I have just failed to install TMG 9 on my new Windows 10 computer. I have TMG 9.05 installed on my old Windows Vista pc and have a backup from that machine available for the new machine..

My problems started when I tried to use Laplink to transfer the program. However, I was unable to run TMG. I am unable to uninstall TMG on the new pc, either. I've tried to find and delete all references to TMG on my new computer.

I've tried downloading the TMG9 installer from this web site. However when I try to run the download, I get this message:

The feature that you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'tmg9setup.msi'

E:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer\

Note that the Downloads folder is on E:

Any suggestions?

Ed Gentley

Download the TMG v9.05 installer from the pinned topic at the top of this forum if you don't have it.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers/

Delete the TMG9 program folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9"

Delete the two TMG9 folders in C:\ProgramData. (The first might not exist yet.)

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9"

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer"

Now try to install TMG v9.05 using the installer.

(I don't think so, but it might be necessary to delete the primary TMG registry tree.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Wholly Genes Software]

>>> (Don't try to transfer TMG using LapLink again.)

Hello Jim,

I haven't seen you in a few years, when you hosted a users group. I've moved from MA to PA.

Unfortunately, your suggestions didn't work. I followed your suggestions through using the installer. This included running the TMG9setup.exe file as Administrator. The same error message resulted.

I was unable to locate the registry item that you recommended deleting.

Sincerely,

Ed

If you are running 32-bit Windows, the registry entry is...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wholly Genes Software]

The issue is that it is trying to look at the LapLink connection. I think that the uninstall registry entry might also need to be removed.

My uninstall registry path is...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\1ECBF6905EF9004469D618FA0A30862A]

The last folder in yours should differ. Search for "v9 Installer" and hit repeat [F3] intill you get to the folder with about 25 entries. This will be in one of the subfolders below the TMG9 uninstall folder. Then select the folder with the folder name constructed like that above and delete that.

If that doesn't help, then LapLink has constructed some TMG-related registry entry that needs to be tracked down and killed.

Jim,

I've apparently been successful. It looks like the hangup was related to this part of the error message: Unable to find network resource E:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer\

I have been trying to install the program on "E:\". I noticed that every time I ran the TMG8SETUP program, it created the folder C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer\

As a long shot, I ran the setup program and this time when I got the error message, I changed the drive letter from E: to C: and directed it to try again. This time the setup program ran. It finished but I got some error messages. Among them "OLE error code 0x80040154: Class Not registered" and another that said "Registration data is invalid."

I ran TMG and restored my data. The second time I ran TMG as Administrator and unlocked it.

I still have one, minor, problem. On start up I get a dialog box stating that my trial is expired and I need to unlock the program. However, when I simply click on {CLOSE] the program starts and displays the serial number, along with a mention that it's the trial version.

Thanks again,

Ed

Right-click on the TMG shortcut and select 'Run as administrator'. Approve the prompt and unlock TMG. Then exit TMG.

Now you should be able to run TMG normally.

Note - Unlocking requires the correct name, email address and registration number for the version you are using as received in the registration email from Wholly Genes.

Jim,

This is odd.

When I right-click on TMG in the App list, and select 'Run as administrator', I get asked if I want to allow the program to make changes. I say yes, and then the program starts normally. Note that the splash screen displays "Gold Edition" and "Version 9.05" and the serial number.

However, when I simply click on TMG in the App list, I don't get asked if I want to allow the program to make changes. A dialog box appears noting that this is a trial version. I simply select CLOSE and the program starts. The splash screen displays "Expired Trial Version", with "Version 9.05" and the serial number below.

Ed

No, I hadn't entered the registration information with a normal startup. I had entered the registration information after right-clicking on TMG9 and selecting 'run as administrator'.

So, I just did a normal startup and entered the registration information. I received a message stating the program was unlocked. I quit the program and did another normal startup. This time TMG started normally and the splash screen displayed "Gold Edition" and "Version 9.05" and the serial number. The problem appears to be resolved.

I'm still unclear why TMG ran as an unlocked version when started as an Administrator and as a Expired Trial Version when run normally. A minor question, in C:\Program Files I see two folders "The Master Genealogist v9" and "The Master Genealogist v9 Installer". Should the Installer folder still be there?

A sincere thank you!

Ed

I'm still unclear why TMG ran as an unlocked version when started as an Administrator and as a Expired Trial Version when run normally.

The registration information is stored in different places. Looks like something has changed and it's needed in both places.

A minor question, in C:\Program Files I see two folders "The Master Genealogist v9" and "The Master Genealogist v9 Installer". Should the Installer folder still be there?

If you mean C:\ProgramData, yes.

I've just joined this forum and haven't found the spot that allows me to start a new topic (where is that) but feel my problem is similar to others already in the listings. I've used TMG since 2003 and finally had v9 running on a W7 computer with about 50000 entries in several projects. I upgraded to W10 (successfully) and TMG9 seemed to work fine. I have backups of the v9 projects and because tonight I'm unable to open TMG in any fashion (desktop shortcut doesn't respond and opening the TMG executable doesn't work either) I'm in a new low spot.

Should I just give up and follow the Dec 2014 posting by Jim Byram to first uninstall the TMG9 version and then reinstall v9.05 as he outlined the process? I'm hampered by an illness in the family that is going to take almost all spare time but I'd like some guidance of my best approach to solve this sinking feeling I have tonight. (or is there another procedure step or two to try before beginning a reinstall?)

thanks

Dennis

Uninstall/reinstall takes only a few minutes. Doing a clean install as described in the pinned topic takes only a few additional minutes.

You start a new topic by using the [start new Topic] button at the top right of each forum. The button is hard to miss. Click the link and see the button.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/forum/120-the-master-genealogist-v9/

Jim,

thank you.

Top right of the Forum tab includes Quick Navigation, Sign In, Forums, and View New Content. I don't see the link with the suggested name.

Hopefully, after the removal and reinstall I'll not have to fret about a new topic.

Dennis

Dennis,

I never noticed, but you can't create a new topic from there. I'm sure I have from other forums, and then selected a section from there. Guess this one is different.

I have an additional windows 10 installation problem. I attempted an install and the installation crashed somewhere in the middle. On a reattempt I get the following error in a Windows installer message box, "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable."

I have downloaded the latest V9 installer and have attempted to do a clean install following all the tips in the this thread including the registry changes but to no avail. The installer begins with the asking the language and it immediately goes into the error message above. Ideas?

Try selecting the installer, right-clicking on the icon, and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

The TMG installer always runs as administrator; however, the TMG installer is peculiar and sometimes explicitly running the installer as administrator makes a difference.

Actually I was running it in the Administrator account when I received the error message. I usually try to run all installations in the Administrator account because I find that trying to run something as an administrator in another account does not always work.

I got it to work now. I had been running the installer in the administrator account. I thought that should be sufficient but I tried your suggestion anyway. I right clicked the installer and ran it as an administrator (while in the administrator account) and it completed successfully. Now I am off to find the last backup / project data set and load it to this much newer machine. Thanks much for your help.

Is this where I put in a new Windows 10 installer project?

I (my son) has installed the last version of 9 that was to be used for updating.

It appeared to work fine when it was first installed and I could get into the program and search around and figured everything worked fine. Now, I am not sure. I get the following message when I select it today:

The selected project was created by a new product or version and cannot be opened with this version of The Master Genealogy. Then there is a box to check OK.

I do get the Welcome to TMG, but the top 'open the last project used' is greyed out, however if I go to select a project (I only have one). I keep getting the same message above.

Is there something else I should try or do. I got in yesterday, why not today.

You are trying to use an older version of TMG to open a project that was saved with a newer version of TMG.

You need to check for more than one TMG installation and for more than one copy of the project. There might be more than one TMG user data folder.