Sign in to follow this  
vjsmith

Trouble opening project with restored data

I've been using TMG for about 15 years. In October I had over 11,000 person entries in my project.
After a hardware repair on my computer in October, all of my data on my hard drive was wiped out. I had been backing up my data using MozyHome. I retrieved my TMG data from MozyHome but the .pjc file was missing.
Fortunately, I have a 4-year-old hard drive with a functioning copy of my files on it (missing the latest 3000 person entries, though).
I installed TMG 9.05 on a spare computer, and used this old data to get a working copy of my project. I then took a copy of the .pjc file that was created, moved it to my "fixed" computer and adjusted it to point to all of the correct file locations with the restored data.
Now, however, when I try to open my project using this edited .pjc file and my restored files, I get an error: "An error happened when opening the data tables".
This is what I found in _OpenPRJ:
09-12-15, 16:08:13 >Open project c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH__.PJC
09-12-15, 16:08:13 >Found c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH__.UPD... deleting all indexes
09-12-15, 16:08:14 >ERR. File c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH_ND.dbf not open
This ND file exists in my directory with the rest of my data files.
In my next post I will try to attach the .pjc and ND files so you can look at them.
Would it be possible for you to give some direction to fix this so I can continue my genealogy research? I would be very, very grateful!

You did manipulations that you should not have done. In addition, the _ND file might be damaged.

I can create a dummy .PJC file for you. ho...

Download and unzip the archive on your desktop. Then drag the .PJC file into your project's folder replacing the PJC file that you added.

>>> Delete all of the .CDX files in the project folder before trying to open the project.

Try to open the project.

If you get the message about the _ND file, I'd suspect that it's damaged.

(And I hope that you are not letting Mozy sync the files in your project folder. That is a sure way to damage your project.)

PJC_file.zip

Hi Jim. Thanks for your response and the new pjc file. There are no cdx files in my project folder. I replaced my pjc file with the one you created. I got the same message and it appears that the _ND file is still the problem"

10-12-15, 20:23:22 >Open project c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH__.PJC
10-12-15, 20:23:22 >Found c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH__.UPD... deleting all indexes
10-12-15, 20:23:23 >ERR. File c:\Users\Valerie\Documents\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\VALERIE SMITH_ND.dbf not open
How did you attach that zip file to your message? I'd like to attach the _ND file so maybe you could take a look. I'd really like to fix it, as I'm loath to lose 3000 person records!
I haven't reinstalled MozyHome backup so I'm not restoring, or backing up this data. Once I get everything back in working order I'll use the backup method that comes with TMG and store the backups somewhere safe. Obviously MozyHome isn't good for TMG data.
Thanks so much for your help, Jim.

To add attachments, you need to have a certain number of posts and then you need to click [More Reply Options] in the lower right of the edit field.

If I'm going to take a look, I need the project.

I just need the project files, no exhibits or configuration files.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

You don't have a recent TMG backup? You need to make a backup at the end of every work session.

Hi Jim. I sent you the files by email. Thanks.

I had been relying on MozyHome to back up the files daily. I will do a proper TMG backup in the future.

Valeire

Valeire,

I think Mozy and the like are a great way to get copies of your backup files way from your home, for the majority of us who are not disciplined enough to regularly get a physical copy to a safe place. However, do not let Mozy or other cloud services have direct access to the folders where you keep either your TMG project files or where TMG makes the backup. Either can cause corruption of your files. Instead, make backups then copy them to a folder accessed by your cloud service. There are programs that will make these copies automatically. See my article on Protecting Your Data for some suggestions.