jrw

Which version and how?

I have had almost every version of tmg since 4 and still have most of the discs. My original project was in import from roots 3. My 8 year old laptops mother board have given up the ghost but the hard drive is fine. I installed and updated version 7 on the laptop and have run this as my primary version ever since. I probably still can find the discs and serial number.

I did install 9 but have read the topic that it might be better to do a clean install

I have never updated my project to 8 or 9

I am trying to figure out what is best.

1. Install 7 and copy my data files over ? I am not sure I can find the updates or if the installer would work?

2. Install 9 with the new installer and hope for the best and try to import?

3. I also have FTM on the machine and do have the current version but have recently discovered some issues with sync and with the import that will necessitate (per ancestry) going through my data base person by person so I want to do this right

There is no need to install any prior version. Just install version 9.05. If you have a disk of an earlier version of TMG9, do not use that, but download (and save for future use) the current installer.

You do not "Import" from one version of TMG to another. You "Open" the full file, or "Restore" a backup. There is no reason to "hope for the best" - it will work as it always has.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to do, and have been even more concerned with the impending demise of FTM which is the other program on my computer (excluding roots3, which I also run). I thought moving from 7 to 8 there were complicated discussions of what to do, but probably misremembered. Do remember you as one of the outstanding contributors and appreciate the response

You're welcome.

The only issue I can think of is the conversion of some variables when you go from an early version of TMG9 to a later one. That will occur when you open the Project in TMG 9.05. It likely has no real impact on you. See my article on Changes in Role Variables for details.

The only other issue, which I thought was ver 6 to 7, was to move the default location of the project files from under the program files to proper user space to comply with requirements of Windows Vista and later. You may have already done that yourself, but if not using the backup/restore method of moving the data to the new version takes care of that.

I have it on version 7 and I believe the location is the default. Guess best answer is to try the installation of 9 and see if I can open the file in 7 (main not backup?) which is on my d drive now (formerly c)

The default program and data folders for TMG7 and TMG9 differ. If you want to open a TMG7 project in TMG9, copy the contents of the TMG7 project folder to the TMG9 project folder. Alternatively, restore the TMG7 project backup in TMG9.