Jump to content


Photo

multiple copies of repository

repository sources

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 levergood

levergood
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

I have just discovered a problem with my TMG database (recently upgraded to 9.05, Windows 7). There are many sources (more than 10, less than 70) in the database that have associated with them many copies (between  ca. 10 and 435) of the same repository. For instance, one source (MSL > edit source > Attachments) has:

18 Salem Lutheran Church Cemetery
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.
13 Frieden's Ev. Luth. Ch. Cem.

Obviously, I did not add all of these copies of the same repository. Furthermore, repository #13 is incorrect and should not be associated with this source at all. Across sources, it is not always the same repositories that are involved in this error.

Should I delete all of the copies and incorrect repositories by hand or should I look for the underlying cause of the problem? What could have caused this to happen? (This is the 3rd corruption of this database that I have discovered over the years.)

 

Thanks for any advice!

Barbara
 



#2 Michael Hannah

Michael Hannah
  • Moderators
  • 2,733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Ranchos, New Mexico, USA
  • Interests:Genealogy, Computers

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

Barbara,

 

I can't say for sure what has happened to your database, but spurious extra repositories was a symptom of a known bug in older versions of TMG.  A cause was finally identified in testing Version 9.0 as a bug occurring when a repository was copied.  That bug which produced these spurious extra repositories was fixed as of Version 9.01.

 

You can delete any incorrect repositories by hand and they should not reappear.  Unfortunately I don't know of a way to delete them other than by hand.

 

You can identify potential sources with this problem using a List of Sources report with a filter of:

Number of Repositories // > Is greater than // 1 // END

 

Hope this helps,


Michael
See my book on how I customize TMG My Way.
My website.

#3 levergood

levergood
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

In cleaning my database in preparation for migration, I found another problem that might be related to having been afflicted by this bug. I'll describe what I did to solve the problem in case it helps someone else.

I found the new problem by comparing the number of Repositories in TMG (File > Project Summary) with the number of Repositories in RootsMagic after a test direct import. RM had 1 fewer repository than did TMG and it reported a corruption on import. So, I made a list of repositories in both programs and found that one of the repositories was repeated twice, with the same ID, in TMG.

The fix: I made a new Repository in TMG with the same information as the corrupted one. However, the Master Repository List would not let me merge the new one with the corrupted one. So, I made a list of Sources that link to the corrupted Repository and by hand deleted the corrupted Repository from each and added the new one to each. I then deleted the corrupted Repository.

I did another test direct import into RM. This time, it didn't complain about a corruption and the number of Repositories matched that in TMG.

Barbara

 







Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repository, sources

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users