RuthAppleby

Sentence structure

Ruth,

The "(---?---)" has nothing to do with Sentence Structures. It comes from the report settings, specifically the "Empty name text" field on the Names tab of report Options. You can change it to anything you like, including leaving it blank, which will remove it from reports. You have to do it on each report definition you use.

Ruth,

For people who have no surname, I use the double-exclusion marks as the surname: "--" (don't enter the quotes). That indicates to me that the person has no surname, as opposed to someone who (probably) has a surname, but I haven't found it. Also, when you use the double-exclusion markers, TMG (and Second Site) will not include the "missing surname" string.

May I add to my previous post. While I have managed to change the missing name option in the Reports generator, I still can't find a way of removing the (--?--) from the sentences produced from Tag entries. I've tried editing the Tag but there isn't an option to change this. Can anyone help?

Ruth,

There are a couple of ways. Adding an exclusion mark as John suggested in the empty name field should do it. Or you can change the name variable in the Sentence to one that doesn't call for the missing name element.