Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Coomb

Transfer data into The Master Genealogist v9.05

As a newbie can someone advise me as to how to transfer data from RootsMagic to TMG. I have tried RM to Legacy via gedcom and then directly from Legacy to TMG, also from Legacy to TMG via gedcom. Neither system provides a satisfactory result.

Advice would be very much appreciated

You should probably generate a RM GEDCOM and unselect 'Extra details (RM specific)'.

There is no real shortcut to the process and considerable post-import cleanup and data addition will be required.

Jim,

I been discussing other matters with Arthur off-list.

When he originally tried creating a GEDCOM in RM and importing into TMG, the GEDCOM file was Unicode and TMG doesn't like that. He tried importing the RM GEDCOM into Legacy, and then using a direct (GenBridge) import into TMG. He got an error message during that process.

Do you think it's better to:

(A) Create a GEDCOM in RM (w/o 'Extra Details'), convert it from Unicode to plain text, then import into TMG,

or

(B) Transfer from RM into Legacy via GEDCOM, then direct import to TMG which means solving whatever error he encountered earlier?

Create a GEDCOM in RM (w/o 'Extra Details'), convert it from Unicode to plain text, then import into TMG.

Use Notepad and convert it from Unicode to ANSI. Change the 1 CHAR line to:

1 CHAR ANSI

Involving Legacy just complicates things and adds to the unknowns.

Jim,

Thanks.

I considered the Legacy route because I thought that (1) Legacy probably has a better GEDCOM import than TMG and (2) using GenBridge to read Legacy would produce better results than reading a GEDCOM file.

My thanks to Jim and John for their advice which has enabled me to transfer data from RootsMagic to TMG. Unfortunately however not all the sources have been transferred and those that have are all described in the footnotes as books whereas in the Source List they are correctly Books, Census, Parish records etc. Also the details for every person contains the tag line *GEDCOM _ _ _ unknown Gedcom tag: _UID.

Further advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Arthur

Arthur,

GEDCOM has no means of indicating the type of source, so TMG on import assigns them all the default source type, which is a book. There is no option but to individually change those that are not to a more suitable type. You will likely find that when you do much of the information about each source is in the wrong source element, so you will have to edit them to get the source notes to make sense.

About the _UID GEDCOM tags... Every individual exported from RM will have a _UID tag. You need to redo the import and select the advanced option in the import wizard. Then you can assign custom GEDCOM tags like _UID to a custom TMG tag type (UID in this case). I believe this is Step 5 in the advanced import wizard. After import, you can keep the UID tags or use TMG Utility to delete the UID tag type and all of the UID tags.

After import, you will need to edit every Source and every repository. You will need to use the Master Place List to align the place parts as needed. Cleanup after import will take a bit of time.