rlgleason51

People / data dump

TMG 9.05.

I decided to start moving to Roots Magic 7as it seems to be the best fit for me, being an intermediate user at best. The data import went better than anticipated and I am starting the process of validating the data to make sure all is as well as I think.

My question is: What is the best report or method to use in getting my TMG data (people, sources, exhibits, etc.) on paper to more easily compare with RootsMagic? Going back and forth between the two open programs is tedious and slow, having tried this with the DNA info.

Thanks.

Edited by rlgleason51

The answer is that it depends on your data.

There are steps that you can do before import and things that you can do after import.

I used about 25 spreadsheets and PDF files mainly to do with facts that required updating in RM.

You need to go through the RM master lists and check and clean up every item.

And now I need to undo some of the things that I did in the cleanup having to do with putting data in the Description and Note fields because of some GEDCOM-inspired limitations in RM. I need to move some data back from the Description field to the Note field for some specific fact types. You don't want text in the Description field longer than 100 characters. The change has to do with maximizing transferring data to John Cardinal's new web site generator once it's released.

Thanks. My use of TMG was simple and basic so I believe I won't need as much prep / cleanup,as more sophisticated users such as yourself. Random check,of records shows all info allocated to the persons is correct (so far).

I'll start on the master lists and notes fields. And take it from there.

You should consider using Second Site to make a non-published site that contains everyone in your project. With a person page entry from that site open in a web browser, you'd have a fairly complete view of the TMG data for the person, and you could compare that to what you see in RM. The site is not on paper, so you may object for that reason. In my opinion, avoiding a mountain of paper is a good thing.

John

Thanks for the idea. Since I've never used as it was not an option I had thought of. I assume by non-published site, you mean being in a dvd, correct?

Second Site produces a set of web pages which are computer files. You can store those computer files on any storage device of your choice, including a DVD. I have mine stored on a DVD for backup, on my desktop for ease of navigation, and on my smart phone to be able to refer to them when I am out and about. In your case I would have them at least both on DVD for backup, and on your computer to be able to have a window open of a person when you are trying to compare that person to RM.

Bob,

As Michael explained, the web site that SS produces is a collection of files. For the task you described, you'd only need the site for your own use, so keeping it on your hard drive is fine. It's also quite easy: after SS makes (or re-makes) the site, you don't have to copy the files anywhere to use them. Your browser will process the files as a web site. Because the files are on your own PC, they are not public, so you don't have to worry about including information about living people, as one example of something that would be different if you were publishing the site.

You can see a list of sites made with SS here. Those are public sites, but they will give you an idea of what SS includes and browsing them will help you form your own opinion about whether a site would help you in your RM project.

If you have any questions, let me know.

John

Just purchased SS and am waiting for the follow-up email with instructions. Also printed your instructions and Terry's instructions so I am good to go when..... Question: Is the Family History Hosting you or some other service provider?

Thanks Jim. Just received the registration email, installed SS, AND created the web site on my hard drive. Not knowing what I was doing and despite the great instructions, I made a few cosmetic mistakes but ....hey, I can always have a do over if I want.

Yes, "do overs" are easy. Just close TMG if it is open on that project, open SS, select the SS configuration file for your project, (modify the config if you wish), Ctrl-M to remake the files, wait the few seconds it takes, and refresh your browser page to see the changes. Really easy.