Sign in to follow this  
dlz

How delete v8 Exhibit and Backup addresses for v9 operations?

I upgraded from v8 to v9 using the link provided to me by Wholly Genes. I did not delete v8 before installing v9. After installation, whenever I wanted to install a new Exhibit, the application presented an address for v8 Exhibits. Whenever I wanted to perform a Backup, the application provided an address for v8 Backup locations (I could manually navigate to the v9 locations). My request to Wholly Genes Help was never responded to (this was when WG was shutting down) so I just lived with the annoyance.

I have now performed a clean install of v9 using the install file and following the instructions for a clean install (including deleting the primary TMG registry tree HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\WOW6432Node\Wholly Genes Software and the v8 Program File. I used Windows Control Panel to delete the v8 and v9 installations (and later did a manual delete of v9 Program file and the two Program Data files after another v9 install).

When I open TMG, I am greeted with "Exhibit folder "C:\Users\Dennis\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\" was not found. Do you want to use the default Exhibit folder?". (Interesting that whether I select Yes or No the Exhibits in my files are properly displayed.) After doing that and wanting to install a new Exhibit, I am properly directed to the v9 Exhibit directory (until I close TMG and then must repeat those steps.)

However, I continue to be plagued with the v8 address Backup operations. When I begin a Backkup I am greeted with the automatically generated archive name and address as

C:\users\Dennis\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\Backups\Huck_VC_Database 2016-01-17 11-17-26.sqz. I can manually navigate to the v9 Backup directory. If I agree to the v8 address, a TMG v8 directory is generated in a TMG v8 directory within Dennis\Documents.

How can I get rid of this annoying v8 characteristic for the Exhibit and Backup functions?

Thank You again, Dennis

Dennis,

TMG is doing what you yourself have told it to do, even if you do not realize it. These V8 folder names are stored as part of the project Preferences itself, and you must manually change them yourself.

For further discussions on all the things you need to do when upgrading to a new version of TMG, I highly recommend reviewing Terry's TIps on this topic here.

Hope this gives you ideas,