ChuckWhite

PDF Printer Installation Problems

I am running TMG v9.05 on a Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit machine. Periodically, when trying to print a report, I get an error:

OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered.

Cancel Ignore Help

I understand this is a PDF printer installation problem. Usually, I am able to re-install the PDF printer and this corrects my problem for a period of time.

Now when I try this, I get an error:

Amyuni Document Converter

Windows 64-bit x86 Install

Printer setup failed

Error Code: 1722

The RPC server is unavailable

I have successfully re-registered the cdintf400.dll as Jim Byram suggests in his posting from Dec 27, 2015 however, I still get the error code 1722 when I try to re-install the PDF driver. I have removed the Amyuni Anytime PDF device and tried to re-install the PDF driver with the same result. I have run the Repair installation with no help. Since the error says the RPC server is unavailable, I have checked Services and found:

DCOM Server Process Launcher Running Automatic

Print Spooler Running Automatic

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Running Automatic

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Running Manual (This was stopped and I manually started it)

RPC Endpoint Mapper (A forum on the internet suggested this needed to be started but I cannot find it)

Any ideas how I can get the print function back?

Chuck

The Wholly Genes PDF printer driver has some issues under Windows 10. You don't need it.

Print to 'Printer' and select the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' printer driver.

Thanks, Jim.

Long story short, it's working again.

From your reply, I apparently gave you the impression I was trying to send my report output to the Wholly Genes PDF device. I was not. I was trying to send an Individual Detail report directly to my HP Laserjet device. It normally works just fine but occasionally, I get the 'OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered' message. When that happens, re-installing the Wholly Genes PDF print driver has corrected the problem. This time, however, re-installing the driver returned the 'Error Code: 1722, The RPC server is unavailable' message. I tried all your suggestions in previous forum postings but none of them helped this time. I searched the internet for solutions to the 1722 error and they all suggested ensuring that various services were running. All of the services in question were already running on my system. TMG was stopped, changes made, and restarted several times. Nothing seemed to help. That's when I turned to the forums. I don't know what changed or happened, but between my posting my question on the forum and trying to print again just now, my printing problem has gone away!

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

There have been two solutions to the 'OLE error code 0x80040154: Class not registered.' posted.

One is remove and reinstall the PDF driver (or to use the cdintf400.dll registration fix). The second solution is to run the TMG installer and select the [Repair] option. Why one solution works in some cases and the other solution works in other cases is a mystery to me. Some people have said that neither works.

Yep, I tried:

1) Remove and reinstall the PDF driver

2) Re-register cdintf400.dll

3) Run the Repair option of the TMG Installer.

For me, none of them seemed to work. However, something must have worked because I am no longer getting those messages. That's not to say that in a week or two, they won't re-appear. As I said initially, it's a recurring problem.

Thanks for your help, Jim!

Chuck

I previously defined CutePDF Writer as my "printer" and saved my reports to Dropbox in .pdf format. In Windows 10 I am no longer able to do that. I am saving to File Type Adobe Reader (PDF) with a file name pointing to Dropbox. When I click "Create Report," I get a message "Printer not activated - error code 30." When I click "OK," I get another popup, "Unable to start print job," with TerPrint2,, Error Code 15" across the top. When I click "OK," I get yet another popup, "Error exporting to...the Dropbox location.

What exactly does "Printer not activated" mean?

I tried exporting to an .rtf file, which was only partially successful because my exhibits weren't included. However, I don't want to add another step to 26 documents (13 family histories with Journal and Descendant Indented Chart reports) by exporting to a word-processing file and then converting to a .pdf.

I went back to an earlier message when I had a similar problem and said, "I removed the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 and reinstalled -- and all is well!" So I again removed the Wholly Genes PDF Writer...but now I can't find it to reinstall it! HELP!

If finding and reinstalling the Wholly Genes PDF Writer doesn't work, is there any other way I can successfully produce a .pdf report directly from the Report screen in Windows 10?

Judy Madnick

Albany, NY

Terry, I saw that yesterday and tried it -- but that printed the report, while I want to save it to Dropbox so that I'm able to share the report with family members. If I choose "Save to Adobe Reader PDF," I get the same error message I mentioned above.

Judy

Judy,

Yes, that's what Jim said. You can't use the Save to Adobe Reader option in TMG.

Instead, you tell TMG to save to Printer, then select the Windows PDF "printer," not your default printer. That's not actually a printer, but is a PDF generator that creates a PDF file which you then save wherever you want it. I think you missed the last half of Jim's final sentence.

Terry, please note my previous response. I believe I did exactly what was described: Print to 'Printer' and select the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' printer driver." I've selected the Microsoft Print to PDF printer driver in Printer Setup, chosen "Printer" for Report Destination...and the document is printing, not being saved as a PDF.

My comment in that previous response (If I choose "Save to Adobe Reader PDF," I get the same error message I mentioned above) was an additional observation.

Meanwhile, I'm unable to save a .pdf of reports.