RuthAppleby

Changing Name Parts using TMG Utility

Can TMG Utility make multiple changes simultaneously? For instance, I should like to change all the examples where the surname is "de XXXXXX" so that the SortSurname is "XXXXXX".

I know how to do it one name at a time.......

Many thanks

You can change all name tags having a surname = de XXX to have a sortsurname of XXX... as opposed to doing it manually one name tag at a time.

Names / Change Name Parts / click [set Rules]

Did you look at the screen in TMG Utility? It's simple.

Open the screen as above. Select the fields and enter the surname and sortsurname and make the change. Remember that for the change to actually take place, 'Log only' must be unchecked.

Yes Jim, I use the Utility all the time. However, what you have said is what to do when you only want to change one Surname - such as "de Peche" to SortSurname "Peche". You said it was possible to make multiple changes with one instruction. This is what I need help with. To be clear, I want to change 17 Surnames which all start with "de" so that the SortSurname omits the "de". Can you help me?

After reading TMG Utility help, it has a specific example for this using prompts.

If Surname equal to "[V1:Surname?]"
Change SortSurname replace pattern "[V1:Surname?]" with "[V2:sortsurname?]"
You click [Change Name Parts] and get the prompts for the change.
You then click [Change Name Parts] again and update the fields and repeat until all names have been changed.
Tested this with several different names and it worked fine.

Edited by Jim Byram

As I understand the design of the tool, it is limited to changing only one name pattern at a time. It can build complex rules for which name pattern but that's about it.

It is possible to change all names that start with "de " and drop the "de " but don't see how to change a list of names that start with "de ".

If Surname starts with "de "
Change SortSurname delete prefix "de "

Ruth,

I've been busy for the last few weeks working on the latest releases of TMG Utility and Second Site, and I missed your question about Change Name Parts. I am glad to see you figured it out. There are actually several ways to do what you want, but Jim's method was probably the best because it was relatively easy to communicate the necessary rules. If you have further questions, and you post them here but don't get a response from me promptly, please contacxt me directly.