rlgleason51

correcting parental tag

Years ago, I misread a name on a parent, citing the person a male instead of female (father instead of mother) . This person has tags, events and witnesses cited with (now) her. I've been revisiting past research, which is how I discovered and confirmed the error.

Question: is there an easier way to make th corrections, other than adding a parent, redirecting the associated events and witnesses, then deleting the old parent?

If this parent is the only parent linked as a parent to these children then I think the following will be simpler. And it will retain any citations or other notes you may have on the parent/child relationship tags, plus any other tags and data about this person.

Go to this parent person's Details.

Now open each of this parent's children's relationship tag (e.g. Dau-Biological, Son-Biological)

Record for later use the ID number of this child.

Delete the ID number of the parent (not the child, the parent) from within the Parent slot on this tag.

Once this is done for all children, double click on the SEX Flag in the Flags window for the parent.

Simply change their SEX from M to F.

Next, using the '#' (number sign) Menu button, use their ID number to go to the Details window of each of the children in turn.

You will see a "Parent-Biological" tag down in the child's Details, and they will no longer have a Primary father.

Open that tag and enter the (now female) parent's ID back into the Parent slot on the tag.

It will now show as Mother-Biological.

Finally, select that tag and press the '*' (asterisk) key to make that tag show as the Primary mother.

Do this for all the children.

This should keep all the tags and links and everything you have about this person. Probably takes longer to write this down than to do it.

Unfortunately, if you already had linked someone as these children's Primary mother, as well as perhaps linked this parent to some female by marriage, you will have a little more work to do. You first will need to unlink that mother so that this (now female) person can be linked as their mother. But the concept is the same. Just delete the links, make the SEX changes necessary, then add the ID links back in to those existing tags where you deleted the link.

Hope this makes sense and gives you ideas,

Thanks. I was luck in that only three children and one census record was involved so it was easy. Years ago, in my more rookie phase, I took ancestry's reading of the name verbatim. If I had checked the sex on the form then AND taken a closer look at the name, my error would have been avoided. This is why I am rechecking previous work with a more experienced (not younger) eye.

Thanks again