Sign in to follow this  
JeanMLW@aol.com

Is TMG 9.05 compatible with Windows 10?

Is TMG 9.05 compatible with Windows 10?

I have a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, and the updater has stopped working. Its a mess. After some research, it would seem the easiest solution would be for me to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Before doing so, I want to make sure TMG 9.05 is fully functional under Windows 10 Pro. Is this the case? Can I safely upgrade my computer and have TMG 9.05 continue to work as it always has?

Thanks,

Jean

Jean,

Many users have moved to Windows 10 successfully. I know of two issues, both solvable.

As with Windows 8, Windows housecleaning wants to wipe out the serial number regularly and asks you to re-enter it. The solution is described in an article on my website. Elsewhere in that same article are tips for moving your data to a new computer.

The other issue is the PDF writer and Windows 10 don't get along. There are two solutions - either use the PDF "printer" built in to Windows 10, or better in my view, send your reports to Word, do any necessary editing, then use Word's PDF printer.

There is a separate issue, not really related to Windows 10, but to newer versions of Word - it is not compatible with certain reports, especially Family Group Sheets and Pedigrees. The solution is to output them as Rich Text Files instead of Word files, then open them in Word. That one is covered in TMG 9 Help.

Terry,

Thank you very much for this and taking the time to respond to me. You have helped me a lot.

I'll add a tech tip of my own for you. Windows 10 wants to share information about what you do on your computer with Microsoft. There is a free utility called "Shutup10". You can get it here:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It will turn off a bunch of Windows spyware.

One other thing. If you want your start menu back, I recommend a product called Start10. Its only $5 and you can try it for 30 days before buying it. (Disclaimer: I don't work for these guys.) Here is the link:

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Again, thanks for helping me. I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade my home PC to Windows 10.

Jean

Edited by JeanMLW@aol.com

I use TMG 9.05 and have recently upgraded to Win 10. Yesterday I encountered the "request for unlock code" phenomenon.

I have consulted Terry's excellent web site and run through the procedure he describes. It did not work.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled TMG and then gone through Terry's procedure again on first invoking of the program - still no success.

The situation that I find myself in is that starting TMG normally gives me the request to unlock, but starting it as an administrator goes straight to the welcome screen, from which I can enter the program as usual. So I can no longer enter the unlock code as an administrator!

Help!

Further to the above, I decided to try running the installer as administrator (since other posts indicate that this can sometimes help). However, the most recent installation of TMG will not uninstall. I get a message that "There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run."

I have tried to download another copy of the 9.05 installer in case mine is in some way damaged or incomplete, but the link to the final versions now gives a "404 - file not found" error - what to do now?

Edited by johnliddle

I would appreciate any advice on fixing this problem:

I am running Windows 10 on my Desktop and my laptop. I recently downloaded TMGV9:05 on my laptop and successfully loaded all my data from the desk top to the laptop using the .sqz file.

Now the problem I ran into is that when I tried to repeat the process and update the desk top I get an error message stating that the file was created by a later version (namely 9.05) and will not accept the .sqz material on my desktop. I am ok so far.

Now I understand that I must uninstall v9.0 on my desktop and reinstall v9.05.

Here come the problem.

I start the uninstall process and I get the following error message: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I would be most grateful for any advice. Thank in advance.

Delete three folders... (Delete the folders, not their contents.)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9"

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9"

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer"

You might also delete the contents of your temp folder.

C:\Users\your user account name\AppData\Local\Temp

Then reboot your system.

Now run the v9.05 installer as administrator. (Select the v9.05 installer, right-click on it, and select 'Run as administrator'.

That should get v9.05 installed.

John,

Write me by clicking on the link below and I'll give you a download link for the TMG v9.05 installer. I need to know which installer version you need (US, UK?)

Jim Byram