djyontz

Internal text exhibits

Back in my early days, I entered a lot of transcribed wills, etc. as internal text exhibits and now I want to make them external exhibits. Is there a way to do that? If not, is there a way to print a list of internal text exhibits so I at least know where to find them? I can see them in the exhibit log (all people, exhibit type = text) but I can't figure out how to push that information into a report. I've taken a half-decade hiatus from genealogy so I'm still trying to remember how to get around! I have version 9.05.

Thanks!

TMG Utility can change the internal exhibits to external exhibits. And running that option in log mode (the default) will create a list of the internal exhibits.

http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/

%%%%%%%%%%

In response to the comments below... Sorry. My error. Only internal image exhibits can be exported by TMG Utility. Another reason that I never used internal exhibits.

Edited by Jim Byram

Yes, the TMG Utility function to change internal exhibits to external is called "Export Images" and means what it says, it only exports image exhibits. I know of no way to automate changing internal "text" exhibits to external.

There are advantages and disadvantages to internal versus external text exhibits, so I would be interested to know your reasons for wanting to change. I have nearly 800 internal text exhibits in my main project, and have even highly customized my Second Site configurations to produce a text gallery similar to an image gallery of these text exhibits. As long as these internal text exhibits are reasonably short, I see no advantage to their being external.

If you really want to make this change, I believe you will have to find and open each exhibit, select and copy all the text, paste that into an external editor, save it as a separate file, delete the internal exhibit, and finally link in the external file as the replacement text exhibit.

While the Exhibit Log can show you all the text exhibits, if attached to an event tag (which most of mine are) the details in the bottom right corner of the Log only shows an event number. I know of no easy way to find that event based on that number. To get a list of the events which have exhibits you can run a List of Event report, and filter for:

Number of Exhibits // > Is greater than // 0 // END

If you sort that report by Principal 1 ID number, you could work through these events person by person. But I know of no way to either filter by or identify in the report the "type" of exhibit, so the report will also list all event tags with linked image exhibits.

Exhibits can be attached to people, sources, event tags, repositories, citations and place records. Lists for each set of these exhibits can be similarly identified by their appropriate "List of" report with a similar filter, but with the same problem of also including image exhibits.

Sorry, but I cannot think of any other simpler way. Maybe some other user will have an idea.

Thanks, everyone. The answer so far is what I expected but I was hoping I was wrong. The ability to run a report would be a huge benefit in a manual conversion.

The reason I'm changing them is that I'm trying to make the way I use TMG more conducive to migrating to another program at some point in the future and I prefer to do that now before the project grows any bigger. My limited research so far suggests that even TMF-friendly direct imports like Roots Magic can't handle internal exhibits. I've verified that in my own practice imports. External image exhibits transferred fine but internal ones didn't. I ran TMG Utility to convert the 56 internal images to external & it worked like a charm and direct-imported to RM as expected. Because I came across Terry's posting on external exhibits years ago, I had only a few to convert.

As for internal text, well they seem to be a problem. And I have somewhere around 300 of those. I figured copy & paste was my backup option, which I think is feasible given the relatively small number. I probably typed them into Word first for spellcheck anyway so maybe I kept those files in a backup somewhere!