johnbuckjr

TMG crashes when attempting to load.

When I attempt to open TMG 9, it starts out OK and loads my opening page, but before the "Tips and Hints" dialog box finishes opening I get the message: "The Master Genealogist has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will colse the program and notify you if a solution is available." My only option now seems to be to click on the CLOSE PROGRAM box. When I do that, the message reappears, but this time when I click on the CLOSE PROGRAM box, it does shut down. I've tried using CCleaner and AVG 1-Click Maintenance on my machine and rebooting the machine (Windows 10 - Desktop) but that hasn't changed the problem.

There are two possibilities... Something has gotten damaged or some other application is interferring with TMG running.

To test the first, run the TMG installer (for the version of TMG that you have installed) and select [Repair].

In regard to the second, have you changed any software on your system since the last time that TMG ran correctly?

I can't seem to locate an installer. There is a folder on my C:/ drive that is labeled: The Master Genealogist v9 Installer, but it only has two files in it: tmginstall.log and updates.aiu and I had no luck locating it on the TMG Update website.

TMG was working as recently as yesterday without trouble. I don't "think" I've added any new programs, but I may have been prompted to reboot after an automatic AVG update... I'm not sure, but I'll see if I can find out.

The link you suggested returns an error message and turning off AVG doesn't seem to have any effect:

404 Not Found

The page you are looking for could not be found.

OK, now I'm confused. The link to download the TMG installer is giving me an error message... but there is a note from you to let you know which version is desired (in my case: US) The problem with that web site was posted, evidently, in 2014 - surely it has been fixed by now, so I must be doing something incorrectly...

I'm not sure what you elaborated in your message above... attempting to run TMG after AVG has been disabled? I did that, but it had no effect. The program still crashes.

Sorry I'm being so dense about this...

OK, now I'm confused. The link to download the TMG installer is giving me an error message... but there is a note from you to let you know which version is desired (in my case: US) The problem with that web site was posted, evidently, in 2014 -

No, it says at the bottom of that post it was updated 13 April 2016.

This issue is recent and is expected to be fixed soon.

Sorry I'm being so dense about this...

You didn't read the part where I said that if the download link doesn't work, you should use the mail link to email me and I'll give you a link to download the installer?

linda, Just when I thought everyone was asleep on the other side of the world. I thought it might have been that exception thingy we have to do, but mine is in tact, I cannot see what updated, and I am not sure even if I turned my system back, whether when avg updates again, I will be back to square dot. Hopefully someone will help us soon. I was thinking of putting on TMG list, but same reason not to most people are asleep ATM, Kay

Tried going off the net, disabled avg, and tmg came up, as soon as I enabled avg, tmg no longer worked.

Edited by Kay Sturgeon

Hi, I think I have a workaround, I have set an exception for the whole of TMG, as well as the viewer, I do not have the experience to know whether this is the right way to do it.

Kay

OK ... Well, this looks like a Universal Problem now...

Here's what I did (with Jim Byram's help): I called AVG (got their Professional Technical Support department) and they told me that my computer was messed up and had a lot of nasty files on it and I should subscribe to their Support Plan for about $200.00 a year - this was after they "tooked over" my computer and checked it out. I declined and decide to uninstall AVG completely.

That fixed my original problem of TMG crashing shortly after it opened... BUT .,. I was unable to load Windows Defender, and so I was left without a functioning anti-virus program running...

I called Microsoft and they told me that they could fix the problem for a one-time fee of around $79, I think it was. So, I decided to try reinstalling AVG - Free, to see what would happen (I wouldn't be any worse off, and I could uninstall it again if it didn't work properly) ...

TMG stopped working again, but I happened upon an AVG Support telephone number that was different from the one I originally called, so I called again. THIS time I was connected to AVG Technical Support - not the "Professional Support" people... - and they did not try to sell me anything! They were just concerned about my problem. (844-259-8811)

After yet another half hour on the phone with them looking over my computer files, they wrote an exception into my AVG-Free antivirus program, and now I have BOTH AVG and TMG... and they appear to be working just fine.

*** The following paragraph describes how to set up the AVG exception for TMG ***

To write the exception they opened AVG AntiVirus Free, Clicked on OPTIONS in the upper right hand corner and clicked on ADVANCE SETTINGS. Then they clicked on EXCEPTIONS. Then click on ADD EXCEPTION at the bottom of that dialog box. In the newly opened box Exception Type should be set to: APPLICATION OR FILE. Then browse your way to the location of the tmg.exe file on your computer. On my computer it looked like this: E:\The Master Genealogist v9\tmg9.exe - Then click the box: EVEN WHEN THE FILE IS MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION. Hit OK, then OK again and close the AVG dialog box, and you're all set... At least that is what they did on my computer (using Remote Control) ... so, hopefully, it will work much the same on yours.

Note that when following John's procedure to set up the exception, the default location of the Tmg9.exe file will be...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9\tmg9.exe" (for 64-bit Windows)

or

"C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v9\tmg9.exe" (for 32-bit Windows)

%%%%%%%%%%

If you are running Windows 10 and want to switch from AVG to Windows Defender, here is the download for the AVG Remover tool...

http://files-download.avg.com/util/tools/AVG_Remover.exe

The usual cause for the problem that John described above is the failure of uninstalling AVG to completely remove it. The tool will remove all AVG remnants.

Edited by Jim Byram

John -

Thank you VERY MUCH for your excellent post on how to fix AVG. It was very clear - I followed it exactly, and TMG was up & running right away, didn't even need to reboot.

I hadn't looked at the options for AVG for a long time, and they have changed a lot. I had tried to figure it out myself, but couldn't - your directions were the best!

Again, thanks -

Linda

Thanks John, that is exactly what I did as you know we have had to do that for the viewer.exe in the past. So that means I can sleep easy. I think the viewer problem has been around for 3 years or so, and I am sure when we get a notice of the yearly download about Oct-Dec that I have to reput that exception in, so it seems that AVG for some reason or other picks up tmg's exe as a false positive virus or something. Phew I can go on holidays now knowing I have fixed it.

Thank you for the update, now I know my old grey cells are not dead yet.

Kay

PS. If AVG USA cannot help, I doubt the Australian branch could, I am on my second AVG PC Tune up licence for 2 computers for 2 years, think it is brilliant.

I woke up to this problem - and I have a new twist. I followed all the instructions to write the exception, BUT when I browsed to the v9 exe file, I could not find it - instead I found v8, which I replaced with v9 many months ago, but there was no exe file in the v8 folder. I went back to my TMG program to assure myself that I DO have v9 (9.05). Can someone help?

Anita Tally

A follow-up - I have v9 installed on my laptop as well as my desktop. The problem with the missing v9 folder is on my laptop. I did the fix on my desktop just now, and it worked like a charm! Thanks! Still need help figuring out where the heck my v9 went on my laptop. :/

Anita Tally

Edited by anitatally

Thank you all so much for this. I followed the instructions (with some trepidation!) and it now opens without a hitch. I had planned to call in my support people but this was altogether better.

Thanks again. Not even very difficult when you are told what to do!