Judy M.

Customizations not transferring in backup and restore

Is there any logical reason why my customizations didn't "hold" when I backed up TMG 9.05 and restored to my new laptop? I chose BACKUP ALL and seem to have checked off all the items I wanted to back up (e.g., Report Configurations)...and the same for the Restore. In particular, my report settings didn't restore. This time around my "old" laptop is still fine, so I finally found the settings that I needed. But it sure was a trying experience!

Thanks in advance...

You made sure that the paths on the screens in the restore wizard are correct for the target system?

I'll note that most users seem to misuse backup and restore and process items that should never need to be processed.

I use backup for project files, accents and filters only and manage exhibits and all customization files that need managing outside of TMG. I also standardize the user data folder location so that it is the same on all systems. That makes transferring projects much easier.

The only paths that I've changed are for exhibits and (it appears) backups, and that hasn't been a problem. It was just the customizations that were an issue. Everything else remains in the "The Master Genealogist v9" folder.

I'm among those who "misused backup and restore and process items that should never need to be processed," including exhibits. It takes longer to back up, but at least I don't have to think about when I last backed up exhibits.

Judy,

The "Master Genealogist v9 folder" folder on your new machine may not necessarily have the same path as the one on your old machine. Differences in folder layouts between Windows versions and differences between user names on the two systems may produce subtle differences in paths that are easy to overlook. Check them very carefully, or use the [...] buttons to select the folder on the new machine to be sure.

I did have to change the path for Exhibits and Backup paths...plus the user name changed, so I had to edit that also. And now I don't recall when I did that. I am assuming that I figured out that I had to "restore" to the correct path and made the adjustment during the restore process. But if I hadn't updated the paths for the configuration and report-output files in particular before I performed the restore, I'm assuming that that's why my configurations and report output "stuff" wasn't what I expected. I'll have to make a note of that for the future!

Thanks, Terry!