rmpope1950

Installing TMG v8 on my new Windows 10 computer

I have read various inquiries about even using Windows 10. I'd like to try. Where can I find a download site to find v8? All the ones I try say 404, Not found. Can you give me a site that is currently working so I can install this? Thank you.

TMG8 will run just fine under Windows 10. The PDF driver should have the same issue as seen with TMG9 and you can see the workaround in the TMG9 forum. Write me by clicking on the link below and I'll give you a TMG8 download link.

Jim Byram

Hi

I have version 8. I don't use it much anymore but here's the issue.

Earlier this year I upgraded to Windows 10. Now whenever I go into MG to enter a new person or event it won't let me. It says my trail version has expired and I must "buy" the full version which I have already done (long ago).

It then direct me to verifying my copy wherein I MUST enter my serial number EVERY TIME. This is a pain to do. My wife who is the computer person in the family thinks it is doing this because of Windows 10 since it never happened before.

Is there any way to correct this so MG 8 recognizes that I have bought it and not just the trial version while running on Windows 10 and let me enter data?

Thanks

Tim Hauck

Unlock running normally (as Standard user).

Also, unlock 'as Administrator'.

Right-click on the TMG shortcut and select 'Run as administrator'.

Unlock TMG by entering your registration information and then exit TMG.

TMG should now run normally.

My laptop with TMG Gold UK version 8.04 is in the process of losing its hard drive which is apparently un-replaceable. I've bought a new computer but can't find any website for a download for the Gold UK 8.04 and am looking to find a way to be able to access my twelve years of research. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would be most grateful.

Hi Terry

Thanks so much for the v8.08 link. I've downloaded 8.08 and imported my data and all looks good so far. Hopefully all will be well as I enter new data.

Your quick and useful support is greatly appreciated as I had been fearful that I wouldn't be able to continue with TMG (which for more than a decade I have found to be wonderful)!! Dianem

​I have been using TMG 8.08 since 2016 with no problems with Win 10 until recently. My program has reverted to trial version. I have right clicked the icon and called up Run by Administrator. The registration form comes up and I fill in the information from a copy of printed screen showing the original info. Upon hitting the go button, immediately if not sooner the invalid message comes up. I have maybe 3000 names in 16 families that I can only look at, Any suggestions.

TMG should be unlocked two ways...

1) Unlock as standard user (i.e., running TMG normally).

2) TMG should also be unlocked running as administrator by right-clicking on the shortcut and selection 'Run as administrator'.

I think I'm in need of related help.

I've been away from my genealogy stuff for a long while and wanted to return... to discover that TMG is no longer....

I have a Windows 10 machine with version 8.04 installed. It __was__ unlocked and I still have the email with the details of my purchase and the serial code to unlock an upgrade from Gold v7 to Gold v8. But when I start up the program, it's asking me to unlock it and this code is not working! TMG 7 is still installed on the same machine, and it's unlocked, but it won't open my project due to the fact that it detects that my project was last modified by a more recent version.

Help? At the moment, I think all I want to do is to export to a GEDCOM so I can figure out what I'm going to do next...

Thanks in advance!

-A

The project that you are trying to open with TMG7 has been opened with TMG8.

You have TMG8 registration information. The name, email address and registration code must be exactly as received in the registration email from Wholly Genes.

Did you read my response immediately before yours as to how to unlock TMG8?

If you want to move to another program, I can make you a v9.05 project and and make you a GEDCOM as well. The current versions of Family Historian, Legacy, and RootsMagic all support the direct import of a TMG v9.05 project and you want to use a direct import rather than using a GEDCOM.

btw... If you want to continue using TMG8, you need to update to v8.08. You can find a link to the installer on this site...

http://www.rootsusers.org/install.html

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Yep. I tried as both a regular user and doing "run as administrator". I'm using the exact info from the email with my registration info... name, email, code. No matter what, I get the same "Registration data is invalid" message.

:(

Did you copy and paste the registration number? Often the registrtion number is short a character from one end or another and that causes it to fail.

Yep! But I think I found a workaround that suits my needs. I restored a backup into v7 and then exported that to GEDCOM. It's possible I lost a little bit of data - but if so, I have source records so I'm not going to worry too much about it.