Sign in to follow this  
bil

Printing list of LIVING descendants

Hi I am getting frustrated trying to view a list of Living people in my TMG.

I go to List of people. In the first line "is a descendant of" [3] (my ancestor) "AND"

next line: "LIVING" "equals to=" "Y" "END"

Then the message "No people meet the conditions of the filter"! (Yet there are many who are deceased!)

Can anyone give me clear step-by-step instructions how to get just the living descendants please? I can print ALL descendants, but I am trying to get a list of ONLY the living to work out reunion invitation list numbers. Many thanks Bil

Bil,

What value of the Living Flag did you find when you went to one of the people who should be on the list?

I suspect your filter is testing for the wrong Flag value. The default setting for the Living Flag is not Y, but ?.

Thanks Terry. I checked and found the [?] flag on the living people. However, with the non-living the flag is an [N]. In the report of List of people I changed setting to [?] as you suggested and it worked for one ancestor (ie it listed only the living) which was good.....but for most of the other ancestors that I have tried it lists some of the dead (but not all!). I have checked the relevant flags and they have an [N].

Is there a way to ONLY have the living printed? And, why does it work for some and not others? I have no doubt that I am the problem, but I am really trying to get on top of this!

I suppose another question related to this: is there anyway to print ONLY the non-living descendants? I would have thought:

"is a descendant" of [iD] [AND]

LIVING = equals to [N] Is that correct?

Many thanks Bil

In TMG, there are two values that mean living: ? and Y. There is one value that means deceased, N.

When creating a filter to select living people, I suggest that you use the filter:

Living does not equal N

If there are people in the result set that you think are not living, check their flag value. It will probably be Y or ? when it should be N.

To check for people who have Living=? but perhaps should be Living=N, you should review the Set Living=N feature in my TMG Utility program.

Thanks John for your suggestions. However, it is still not working. I am frustrated and confused because I think I have done everything as you and Terry have suggested.

It is still displaying the non-living descendants after I put in your suggestion "Living does not equal N". I then went and checked the individual non-living people that it displays and they have N as their tag. Thanks for any tips Bil

It is still displaying the non-living descendants after I put in your suggestion "Living does not equal N". I then went and checked the individual non-living people that it displays and they have N as their tag.

Read what you wrote. It makes no sense.

When you filter for...

Is a Descendant of nn AND

LIVING does not equal N END

You only get people with their LIVING flag set to ? or Y. In other words, you only get living people (based on their flag setting). You cannot get any people with the LIVING flag set to N.

I just tested the filters and they work as designed.

Thanks for your help and patience! It worked if I do not tick the descendants box at the very bottom....lists all descendants that are living. However, if I tick the spouses box (because I would like to know numbers to invite to reunion) it also lists non-living spouses (eventhough, they have an N in their flag). If I do not tick the spouse box at the very bottom of the page...I can get only Living ancestors...which is good....but I don't get spouses. Any thoughts please? Bil

Bil,

It's doing exactly what you told it to do - list living descendants and then adding their spouses.

I don't see a way to get both descendants and spouses, living only, with a single filter. You can do that with a temporary Flag. First use your current filter to set a custom Flag, then use a filter for people with that Flag set and living.

Thanks Terry. I can print list of descendants who are living only and I can print their spouses...unfortunately this also includes the non-living spouses. As far as planning for a reunion I will go through and erase by hand the non-living spouses. Thanks to all for your help Bil