Sign in to follow this  
Morbius

Windows 10 Attack

Has anybody had this experience? Can anyone explain it to me?

I have been going along just fine with the last version of TMG (9 something) and Windows 8.1. For no discernable reason, while I was entering information into TMG from a newspaper article, I got a message on my laptop that it was uploading Windows 10, and the computer starting (evidently) uploading Widows 10.

A little startled, I shutdown the laptop and pulled out the battery, hoping to stop the process. I don't want Windows 10, and don't plan to deal with it until I replace this laptop, and will be forced into it.

Now, when I start to turn it off, I don't get the choice of shutting it down, but only the choices of "sleep", "update and shutdown", or "update and restart." Not having a teenager around to explain it to me, I texted my daughter, who tells me this is just a normal update of programs already on my laptop. But, I am suspicious. Can anyone help?

Yes, it is "just a normal update" and yes, it is installing Windows 10. Microsoft has now made the update to Windows 10 a "Recommended" update, and if you are using the default setting Recommended updates are automatically run. Google the subject and you will see a lot of complaints about this change.

Terry, thanks for the information. Guess I am kinda stuck. I have been reviewing the problems with Windows 10 in this forum, and there seem to be quite a few. Guess all I can do is let it update and hope for the best. I am really glad that I can access someone with your knowledge with such questions. Thanks

A quick follow-up; I have turned my laptop on and off three or four times over the last couple of days, and it has executed a couple of updates. But, it still hasn't updated for Windows 10. Not sure what it means, but everything seems to be working ok. Thanks for the help.

This is a variation on the problem with Windows 10. I had a lot of problems trying to install the program but finally succeeded when I found Jim's advice on deleting the Program file folder etc. It then installed properly but I tried to load my back-up file (an .sqz file created on a different computer) and I got a message saying there was a problem with The Master Genealogist and it was shutting the program. 'Windows would notify me when a solution was found'. Now when I try and open the program, it shows my data is there - ie I can click on Open the last project used, but it gets to various stages of showing me the different banners etc, and then it just shuts.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be welcome.

Sally

Yes, we have AVG. Is there anything we can do to get around the problem - sounds as though it isn't new. I can check with our support people if you don't have the answer.

Thanks for your suggestion and prompt response.

To continue my bit of this saga. After a few days of continuing with Windows 8.1, my laptop updated to Windows 10 - without warning. I got a message stating it was updating and I shouldn't turn off my computer. The worrisome part is that I had TMG, MS Word, and a couple of .jpg files all open at the time. I was worried that my TMG files would get messed up. So far, that doesn't seem to have happened. I will never be a friend of B. Gates, but I guess I can live with it.