Sign in to follow this  
ams

Conversion error #200 - error.isc

I have TMGUK Gold 9.05, Word 2010 as part of Office.

I’m getting a new error report – apparently randomly – when creating journal reports in Word.

The 1st message says “Conversion error #200. Error writing to destination file”. If I click on OK the next message is “The raw isc file has been saved as C:Users\Ann\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Logs\error.isc. Please send to Technical Support”

Sometimes if I try again to create one of these “problem” reports it succeeds 1st time without the error message. Other times I have to close TMG down. I haven’t had one yet where I can’t ultimately create the report but sometimes it takes quite a while.

I can't see any pattern in these errors but am getting many of them now and have never had them before (since TMG 4)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Ann

To start, I'd reset the report configuration for the Journal report to default and see if you get the error. That might be enough to resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, all that I can suggest is that you run Optimize / Validate File Integrity / Optimize. You should also delete all files in the Windows Temp folder.

C:\Users\your user account name\AppData\Local\Temp

(The Windows Temp folder might be hidden. Also, you might not be able to delete some files in it. Just click the [skip] button on the prompts.)

Whether you can create the problem report doesn't matter since there is nothing that you can do with it.

Thanks Jim. I've done the maintenance routines. I do Optimise, VFI, Optimise quite often and these errors have continued. But to me it's random so I'll try using the default journal settings next time it happens and will report back.

Ann

Into what folder are you creating the report file? Is it on a removable media, if so try writing it to your main disk. Is it going to a folder which is being monitored by some other program such as an automated backup program like Dropbox, if so that program (sometimes) could be interfering with the writing of the file. Just guesses/ideas to think about.

Hi Jim and Michael, Thanks for your help. Am reporting back.

I did as you suggested Jim - and even recreated all of my 11 different journal report formats using the default journal to start with. This didn't stop the errors which seemed to me to be quite random. However, I think I've now worked out what is happening. I'm getting this error dialogue box when I try to recreate and open a journal but already have a previous version (same name etc) open in Word. The reason I didn't pick up on this is that for umpteen years I've had a different error message dialogue box when trying to open a new report that's already been created and is open. I think that message was something like "You can't open this, it is already open, please close" (I can't check the wording because I don't get it any more! Now I get the Conversion error #200 dialogue box.)

Thanks Michael for your ideas. I only create reports into the "report output" folder. I do have Dropbox but as far as I know Dropbox isn't synching anything at all. That's my aim anyway. All I want/need Dropbox for is to share documents and photos, and at times I copy various things to it as a backup, eg sqz files, my exhibits, and so on.

Ann

Strange. I get a proper warning message when I test this

First, you get a override prompt since the report file already exists.

Then you get this message...

"The output file c:\test\test.DOC is in use by another application or cannot be deleted.

Retry?"

I output a Word doc to do the test and kept the original report file open in Word while rerunning the report.

Yes, that's exactly the message I used to get Jim. Now I get the conversion error message. I'll let you know if I find any other pattern but at least know how to fix it now. Thank you. Ann