Sign in to follow this  
Sean

List of people report: # of citations

Hi,

I'm attempting to run a report that will show me the number of citations for selected groups (ie: birth group, marriage group, death group) from the Report Definition Screen - List of People. Selecting "options", and using the "output columns" tab, I enter the "name group tag - last, given names. I follow that with "Birth Group Tag - # of Citations", "Marriage Group Tag - # of Citations", and "Death Group Tag - # of Citations". When I create the report, the results are correct for the number of citations in the birth and death groups, but the marriage group number of citations reads "1" regardless of how many citations I have for any person. It states, "1", even for those never married and without any citations. Any ideas? Thanks!

The LoP report filter for Marriage Group / Number of Citations apparently has a bug. I got 3 citations in every case.

Use the List of Events.

Filter for 'Tag Type Group is' and add 'Number of Citations' to the output columns.

Hmmm... I had not heard of this one before.

I will add it to my on-line list of outstanding bugs.

--This has now been added with an expanded workaround section.

See: List of People report, “Marriage Group* tag; # of Citations” output is wrong

Edited by Michael Hannah
Update

Thank you. Is it still possible to run this List of Events filter for people in my Focus Group? I guess I wouldn't necessarily need to know the exact number of Marriage Group Citations for each person in the Focus Group, but it would be helpful to know that at least 1 exists.

Is it still possible to run this List of Events filter for people in my Focus Group?

Not directly but it can be done.

1) Create a custom flag with the options ?,Y,N

2) Use the List of People secondary output tab to set the flag to Y for people in the focus group.

3) Add a condition to the List of Events filter (as described in my reply above) for that flag.

Principal1... (flag name) = Y AND

Tag Type Group is... Marriage END

That will limit the List of Events report to the people in the focus group.

btw... I'm assuming that both spouses for each marriage are in your focus group. If that's not the case, we'll need to add one more line to the filter.

( Principal1... (flag name) = Y OR

Principal2... (flag name) =Y ) AND

Tag Type Group is... Marriage END

Comment... Citations are linked to events, not to people. So you are really searching for events. The List of People would have bypassed needing to think about that.

Sean,

There is also one other consideration. The List of People output column choice is actually specified as:

"Marriage Group* Tag; # of Citations"

Note it has an asterisk '*' in the name after the word 'Group". That asterisk means the output (if it had worked) would have only given you the number of citations linked to the one tag in the Marriage Group which has been set as Primary for that person. That output would not indicate anything about citations to other tags in the Marriage Group. However, the List of Events report with the filter condition:

Tag Type Group is || || Marriage

will list all the tags in the Marriage Group which otherwise match any additional filter conditions. Because it will do that it would probably be a good idea to output the Tag Type Label as well.

... but it would be helpful to know that at least 1 exists.

By using the List of Events to output all the tags in the Group you will be better able to see this. The Primary tag might have no citations, while some other tag in the Group may have citations. The List of Events will show that, the List of People would not.

Sean,

If you wish the output to be more similar to what would have output from the List of People report, you can restrict the output to only those tags which are Primary by using additional filter conditions like:

( Principal1... || Primary Marker is || On ||   OR
  Principal2... || Primary Marker is || On || )

Note carefully the parentheses which are needed when you ‘OR’ two conditions.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks Jim and Michael! I really appreciate the help you've given me. As usual, you guys come up with things I'd never had considered. I guess now that TMG is no longer supported, workarounds are going to be more numerous. It's still a great product though!