Sign in to follow this  
ketchell

Restore fails

Before upgrading to Windows 10 and I am testing my application on a different PC already upgraded to Windows 10. I installed from the final 9.05 version and attempted to restore my backup. I tried a backup with just the project/accents/filters and one with those plus some of the other components but not exhibits or program options/preference. Neither worked. The database I am backing up works fine on the exisitng TMG install on the Windows 7 PC. It was optimizied/validated/optimized before backup.

The failure is that it says there is no "GENE-N.dbf" --- gene being my project name. In the Projects folder I found only a file named GENE__-Copy.PJC with 5K. When trying to select it I get the message that it isn't a true .pjc file.

I then tried to remove and reinstall and got a "project in use" error message. I successfully removed all of TMG by uninstall and manually removing all the project files in documents folder as well as in other locations. It did install but not as new as it did not ask for the serial number. But it appeared to install otherwise as new. I checked the local/temp folder and there were no new temp files created on the date I installed it.

Now I stymied about moving to Windows 10. If restore does not work with new install on an existing Windows 10 PC, I would expect the same problem to occur if I had to start from scratch if after the Windows 10 update TMG did not run as expected. Further, it means I can't move my database to another PC in the future.

Any ideas?

Debra

You seem to be going out of your way to make problems for yourself.

If you upgrade an existing system to Win10, your TMG installation and data will be intact.

If you are moving to a new system, you make project backups, install TMG on the new system, and then restore your projects. In this case whether the system runs Win10 or some other Windows version is not pertinent.

If you have exhibits or personalizations, you can move those using TMG backups (not recommended) or directly (recommended).

The only new issue running TMG9 on Windows 10 is that the PDF driver likely won't work.

Agree there should be no issue in moving 7 to 10. The problem is that I'm trying to install my backup made on W7 onto a new installation of TMG (same final version) but this new PC is W10 and the restore is not working.

Just to be doubly sure I understand.

You do a backup on your Win7 machine which has TMG V9.05. This creates a .SQZ file.

You now get the .SQZ file loaded somehow on your Win10 machine which has TMG V9.05.

You then run TMG, ask to do a restore, select the above .SQZ file and you get the error?

Or are you doing something different?

Ends up it was my error. Not sure how but under Preferences/General the default project path was to v8 instead of v9. Changed that and the backup restores on a new install on a Windows PC using restore. Mea culpa.

I have made a backup, *.sqz, from my desktop. Now when I attempt to restore that project to my laptop, I get an error message that "someone else is using that file and the restore cannot be done." Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

I would like to add comments to my post above to be more thorough and clearer. First, I used Acronis True Image 2017 to sync my TMG "Genealogy" folder between my desktop and laptop. This sync appeared to complete successfully, but when I tried to use files in the synced folder I ran into the error message. I was trying to use a TMG backup file, Ince.sqz, from the sync folder to "restore" to the TMG project on my laptop. That's when I got the error message -- more precisely "someone else is using this project and it is not possible to restore it." Thus, I had Acronis technicians delete all syncs from both computers -- they have assured me that they have done that and that there are no "remnant" flags left by Acronis indicating that they are using any of the files in the previously synced folder. I then copied all of this "Genealogy" folder to an external hard drive, deleted those folders/files from both desktop and laptop and restored them back to those computers; of course, restarting between each step. But, when I now use TMG to re-create the Ince.sqz file from my desktop and try to "restore" it to my TMG project on my laptop, I continue to get the same error message. Is there any way to capture the offending "someone else" when this error occurs? I'm stumped and really need help and would appreciate it immensely.