Judy M.

Direct ancestors for DNA purposes

Is there a report that will produce personal ancestors' information (i.e., from me back...or from my ancestors down to me) to use for DNA-research purposes? Perhaps that would be a descendant indented chart including only my direct line???

Thanks in advance....

Make a new focus group.

Filter the Project Explorer...

Is a Matrilineal Ancestor of ID# (your ID number) OR

Is a Patrilineal Ancestor of ID# (your ID number) END

Add those people to the focus group.

Now you probably want to select everyone and add spouses although this is optional. You only would want the spouses who are your ancestors.)

Add you to the focus group.

Now you have your matrilineal and patrilineal ancestors and you in a focus group.

You can use this to mark those people or to make a project subset or to make a GEDCOM for uploading to your DNA service (for example, Ancestry or Family Tree DNA).

Thanks for the suggestion! I've never worked with focus groups, so I'll have a chance to exercise my brain. :blow:

I have a focus group and (finally!) a GEDCOM. So far I haven't been able to view the GEDCOM. What's the easiest way?

Thanks!

A GEDCOM is a text file and can be viewed and edited with any text editor. You can also find GEDCOM viewers on the web. And you can import the GEDCOM to a new project in TMG to check the people.

Here's a free GEDCOM browser/viewer.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gedbrowser/

Check this Google search for many other GEDCOM viewer options.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=GEDCOM+viewer