Sign in to follow this  
LorraineH

Moving TMG v9.05 to new computer with TMG v9

I did a backup of TMG version 9.05 although it said v9. When I tried to do a restore on my new computer which had version 9 installed from the disk, it said that it couldn't install a newer version of TMG. What do I do? LorraineH

Lorraine,

First, to tell what version you have installed of TMG itself, when TMG is open click on the "Help" menu. Then choose the very last menu item of "About The Master Genealogist". That will open a window showing the version/subversion of the running program.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you? Are you trying to backup and restore the actual TMG "program" from one computer to another? If so, you cannot do that. You must actually "install" TMG on a computer using the appropriate installer for the appropriate version/subversion.

However, if you are using TMG itself to do a backup of a "Project" on one computer, and then using TMG to restore that "Project" on the other computer, that is a different issue. Guessing from your error message, I will assume this latter is what you are trying to do?

From the error you mention I am guessing that your old computer has been updated to version "v 9.05.0000". However, if you used a disk to install TMG on your new computer you probably installed the earlier version "v 9.00.0000". You cannot take a Project which has been backed up in 9.05 and then try to restore it with an older version of TMG.

If this is the case, then you need to install the final version "v 9.05.0000" on your new computer. Since WhollyGenes stopped supporting TMG over a year ago, one place I know of that you can find the latest installers is on the ROOTS Users Group of Arlington, VA web site:

http://www.rootsusers.org/install.html

I suggest you download the final appropriate installer and save it on your own disk for the future.

If you already have v 9.00 installed, running the final v 9.05 installer on your new computer will simply completely replace the old version with that final version.

Hope this helps,

I have just moved to a new computer running windows 10 (the old one was upgraded from win 7 to windows 10). I used a program called PCMover to move my apps as well as data and for the most part it has worked well. However on starting TMG v. 9.03..i am getting array errors. When I click on ignore, I am able to see and use the data. Is this a warning of an imminent crash?

I'm going to be getting a new computer in the near future with Windows 10. Can anyone tell me how long I'll be able to download software to the new computer or are there discs I can get?

I assume that by "download software" you mean download the TMG installer. The answer to "how long" is nobody can tell you that. The answer to can you get disks is no.

If you intend to keep using TMG you should have already downloaded the appropriate installer as Jim directs above, and saved a copy of it and your serial number in a safe place. See my article for more information.

The filename of the installer should be something like "tmg9setup.exe". It will start with "tmg" and will end with "setup.exe" with the version number in between. Hopefully that is what you found. Save it somewhere safe along with your unlock code, as well as the user name and email address associated with that code.