Sign in to follow this  
DougG

Better Reports Available Somewhere?

Since I have used John Cardinal's "Second Site" since it first came out to "publish" my genealogical research, it has been many, many years since I tried generating a printed report from TMG and I am really rusty on the subject. But I was recently in contact with an elderly relation who has no Internet access and would like to produce a printout for her.

What I am looking at is the Indented Descendant Narrative, and after a bit of experimentation I was able to get what I was essentially looking for as far as the textual content is concerned. However, I would like to include the primary personal photo of each individual as an embedded image in the document. The problem is that TMG just seems to have a general "Include exhibits" option that puts the exhibit/photo in-line with the text -- in this case immediately following the person's name. For photos, that is really ugly-looking.

So is there a way to change the way that personal photos are handled in the report? Are there any third-party utilities that might produce reports in a more modern word-processor type format?

Alternatively, is there a way to export the report directly in a standard document format such as Microsoft Word? If this can be done, I could manually edit it and insert the photos.

Thanks for any tips on how to get the output that I'm looking for!

You can save the report as a Word or RTF document. Did you even look at the report definition screen? You cannot change how images are placed in the document as generated by TMG. You can move the images in Word or add them after the report is created.

You can save the report as a Word or RTF document. Did you even look at the report definition screen? You cannot change how images are placed in the document as generated by TMG. You can move the images in Word or add them after the report is created.

No need to take that tone, Jim. I did look at the screen but got hung up on the "Print" option thinking that since it could be printed to a PDF and other targets, that's where the other formats should be found. "Save to File" was simply too obvious for me to see with the tunnel vision that I sometimes have.