Ann

Error on Gedcom import from Ancestry

A Gedcom of a tree was imported into a new project in UK V9 from Ancestry.

When a descendency narrative report is generated every person has a sentence which says "X was witness to the birth/marriage/death of X" instead of "X was born on ....". If I open each tag eg birth or marriage or death, and then on the sentence button, all appears correct. The witness box is empty. I have found that the output can be corrected by clicking on the drop down box containing Principal (not changing anything, but just opening the box and then closing it again) and after regenerating the report it has resolved.

Has anyone else struck this problem and is there an easy way to remedy this?

Thanks

Ann (asking on behalf of a TMG friend)

Did the user run optimize / validate file integrity / optimize after the import? That should have been done although I don't know if it would have made a difference.

Ann,

I have seen cases where a person is attached to an event with an invalid role assignment, and what you described makes me think that is what is happening in your case. If VFI doesn't solve the problem, contact me and I'll help you figure out a fix.

Dear Jim and John

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. My friend tried a Maintenance run but this had no effect. She emailed me the gedcom she had downloaded from Ancestry and I imported it into my TMG. On generating a narrative report there were no errors. So it looks as though it is a problem with TMG on her computer. I will check if she has the latest version and if not advise her to update to see if that fixes things.

I will get back to you if we need further assistance.

Thank you again

Ann

Auckland, NZ