Sign in to follow this  
donralph

Setup is already running

I am trying to upgrade from TMG 7 to TMG 9.5. When I try to open tmg9setup 3.exe i get, "another instance of setup is already running." I'm trying to do this on my iMac with Parallels 12.0.0 and Windows 10. I also have SS. I get the same response when I try to open it on my laptop.

My iMac is networked with my windows laptop. A couple of years ago I did have TMG 9.1 on the laptop, and thought that might be the problem, so I removed the 9.1. I am trying to open the tmg 9.5 exe with the laptop turned off. I can't find anyplace where TMG 9.1 is on the iMac, unless maybe in the Cloud.

I have tried searching for others i with this problem and have not found any. I have not had many problems with TMG 7 on the iMac. The only major problem I did have, was when I installed a bad external hard drive to use Time Machine, it wiped out all my TMG backup on a USB drive. I now going to back up to my C drive in addition to the USB drive.. I had to go back to my laptop to get the last backup there. I lost several months of work. Could that be related?

Any help would be appreciated.

Don

Edited by donralph

John,

I rebooted Windows and installed all the updates, but still have the same problem. Sometimes I first get "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable." File I'm trying to install is TMGv9Gold-tmg905setup.exe. Is that the correct one for TMG 9.5? I appreciate all your help. Thank you,

Don

Donald,

Yes, that appears to be the correct installer for TMG v9.05.

Based on the error message, it appears that the TMG installer is having trouble writing its log file, and that may indicate general problems with accessing the parts of the Windows file system that the installer uses.

Does your Windows-under-Parallels have a disk with plenty of space on it?

Is Parallels configured to share the home folder of the Mac-side user with the Windows-side user? If so, while that can be made to work, I think it makes things much more difficult and I don't recommend it. I haven't used Parallels in a while and I forget where the option is to turn that off and keep the My Documents folder (and other folders) under Windows exclusive control. I am not confident that is an issue here, but it could be.

You may have this solved by now, but if not try running the installer as administrator. By this I mean right click and choose run as administrator from context menu. DO NOT allow the installer to run TMG at the end of the install process. Reboot Windows, right click TMG and again choose run as administrator, enter your unlock data but do nothing else, quit TMG and reboot windows. From now on run TMG normally.