rlgleason51

Residence tags

When adding residence tags for the primary subject (father), I have been assigning witness roles to other family members living at that address (wife, daughters, etc). I've noticed that when I go to the family members record, they are listed as witnesses to the father's living at the address, but are not shown as actually living there themselves, This forces me to add the resident tag for each family member living there.

Is this the only way to do this, or have I been making more work for myself?

Thanks

The role sentence for the witness accomplishes what you want in narrative reports.

The FGS doesn't have roles or role sentences so a Residence tag for each individual is the only way around that.

Jim: Thanks, was afraid of that.

Terry: I wanted the person view to show the residence tag for each individual, primarily because that is how my mind works, but also I wanted the residence tag to appear on the FGS for research purposes.

I must be doing something wrong because the residence tag only appears for the principal. Here is what happens:

I add a residence tag for person 1. I add his children as witnesses to the tag, family member 1 is ID'd as a daughter of principal, family member 2 as a son, etc.

When I go to family member 1 and 2, person view, they are identified as witnesses to principal residing there. No residence tag appears for them.

I must be doing something wrong because the residence tag only appears for the principal. Here is what happens:

I add a residence tag for person 1. I add his children as witnesses to the tag, family member 1 is ID'd as a daughter of principal, family member 2 as a son, etc.

When I go to family member 1 and 2, person view, they are identified as witnesses to principal residing there. No residence tag appears for them.

That is the Residence Tag for them. You can change the labeling in their Person View by editing the Residence Tag, Other tab. At the top left, under Display Witnessed Tags, change As "Witness" to Using the Label Above. I think that will do what you want.

Is this a universal change? I made the change as suggested and it seemed to change not only all the witness tags to residence for the current person view, but changed them for all of the associated family members as well. I did not check non-associate family members, i.e., other records yet.

Bob,

The concept to keep in mind is that when you link multiple people to the same tag, each with their own role, there remains only one tag. The current person view for everyone linked will show a view of that same one tag, but with some indication of how the current person is linked to that one tag. The default view simply informs you whether they were linked as a Principal or a Witness. Terry's suggestion changes the definition for that one tag type of how TMG indicates the current person's linkage to any one tag of that tag type by showing their linked role name instead. But each person linked does not have their own copy of this tag. They only somehow show a linkage to that one tag.

Hope this helps,