Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cummings

Finding split cds

Joe,

I did that with most of my sources that used split CDs some years ago. My article on that process at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Sources-convert.htm may offer useful tips.

I didn't have any trouble finding the sources involved because they all used Source Types that were designed to use split CDs. I think I use a list of sources with a filter for those Source Types to locate them, but it was pretty easy to spot them in the Master Source List anyway. I suppose you could filter the List of Citations for the bars but I'm not sure how you specify that. Hopefully someone else will offer a suggestion on that.

I suppose you could filter the List of Citations for the bars but I'm not sure how you specify that. Hopefully someone else will offer a suggestion on that.

The pair of characters of '||' are recognized in a TMG filter as a special case, so you do not need to escape each of these characters when entered as a pair. For your purposes you would run a List of Citations report with the simple filter of:

Citation Detail // Contains // || // END

Be sure to define appropriate output columns to easily find each specific event and citation. I would recommend at least the fields:

Linked Record; Subject1; ID

Linked Record; Date

Linked Record; Tag Type

Source Number

Citation Detail

But you may wish to add other output columns in the report to help you find these citations. I generally sort the report first by "Linked Record; Subject1; ID" and then by "Linked Record; Date". That lets me go through the tags person by person, with finding the various tags with these citation details by date order.

Hope this gives you ideas,

While for some reason I always knew that the pair of characters '||' were treated special in a TMG filter, thanks to your question I discovered I have never indicated that in my on-line book. I have now added that fact, and the example of searching for this pair of characters both concerning tag memos and citation details and memos. For citation details and memos see the Source Data Entry section of the "Source Guide" chapter. The fifth paragraph mentions the ability to split both Citation Details and Citation Memos, and the footnote now indicates how to search for such.

Hope this helps others in the future,