John B. Windham

Problems getting v905 Installer to complete

Using TMG 9.05 and Windows 10

TMG v9.05 was previously successfully running on the computer but something went wrong and then could not use TMG. Now trying to re-install TMG v9.05 onto the computer using the latest TMG v9.05 installer .exe file.

Problem:

The installer .exe file installation stops before being complete and gives the error message: "Source file not found: C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer\disk1.cab. Verify that the file exist and that you can access it."

May or may not be pertinent--TMG was previously installed from a CD disk.

What has been done to prepare the computer before running the .exe installer file:

Deleted the TMG program folder.

C:\Program Files (x86\The Master Genealogist v9)

and then

Deleted the two TMG folders in C:\ProgramData:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9

and

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer

Then tried to install TMG v9.05 by running the installer file but the installation stopped and gave the error message previously stated above.

Can someone please advise what can be done next to get the installer file to complete?

Thanks for any help offered.

John, something to consider:

I solved my problems with Windows 10 by taking one of my old laptops and had Windows 7 and the last version of TMG installed on it. This laptop is completely devoted to my TMG projects. I use a passport drive to save my reports and plug it into my Win 10 machine to print them.

John,

Deleting the program folder and the installer folder was the correct thing to do. You didn't need to delete the data folder.

You can download the current v9.05 installer here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers-v905/

You should select the installer and right-click on it and select 'Run as administrator' to explicitly run the installer as administrator. This sometimes helps.

If that doesn't work, you need to temporarily turn any real-time scanning by your anti-virus and anti-malware apps and try the installer again (and again explicitly running as administrator).

Jim

Good morning! I realize that today is "Thanksgiving Day eve" and most folks are focusing on celebrating this great holiday. However, I am having what I deem to be a most serious and distressing problem with my TMG9 program and am desperate for help. I recently discovered that for some unknown reason the program just stopped printing reports (I am using Windows 10 by the way). I tried a couple of procedures to work with the installed printers such as was suggested elsewhere on this forum to remove the "Wholly Genes PDF Writer V4" and then reinstall the program (I have the program CD). This didn't solve the problem. It appears from what I have also read on the forum that the problem may lie with the installer.exe file. I downloaded the installer file (my version of the file happens to be the UK version even though I live on Cape Cod) and again attempted to re-install the program. NOW two problems have surfaced; one says that I have a newer version of the program already installed and the second is an error message that says "The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

How do I proceed? Do I uninstall the program and start over with a fresh install? My concern of course is that I have just about 20 years of data and even though I have this data backed up on a external drive you can see that if any of that information was lost or otherwise irretrievable I have a disaster on my hands.

By the way, even though the program won't start I can open "On this Day" and "see" the information it takes from my data files so that at least tells me that for the moment at least the data files are accessible.

I sure could use some help please!!

Thomas Cox

First, you should install TMG9 from the v9.05 installer, not from the CD. The installer can be downloaded here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers-v905/

When you uninstall the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4', you do not need to reinstall the program. The PDF driver will be reinstalled the next time that you run TMG. If not, then you can install it from the File / Printer Setup menu.

When you have a missing file or other missing component error, you should run the v9.05 installer and select the [Repair] option.

If you have a TMG v9.05 project and can't run TMG, you have not lost your data. The project can be directly imported by Rootsmagic and by Family Historian, and, shortly, by the new Legacy version..

Jim,

Thank you for responding so quickly and offering advice. Thankfully your information did return the TMG9 to active status...I can use the program again. However, I cannot print reports. Have you any suggestions on how I might fix this problem?

Thank you again.

Thomas Cox

The things that I suggested should have gotten report output working. Try removing the 'Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4' and having it reinstall again.

Legacy Family Tree 9 should be released before the end of the year.