I write because I need someone to help explain what has happened to my TMG project sqz files.

After a long day of working in TMG I usually run BACKUP after I have run MAINTENANCE, both REINDEX , OPTIMIZER and VALIDATE FILE INTEGRITY.

This afternoon I notice that the SQZ files which was generated by BACKUP was considerably smaller than my previous SQZ files. Size went from 39,095 KB to 6,803 KB. To the best of my knowledge I ran the same BACKUP I usually do so the files size to my way of thinking should not be smaller than the last file I ran. None of my SQZ files have my EXHIBITS included, the EXHIBITS are all in separate file. My project seems to be working normally and the PROJECT SUMMARY reports the correct number of PEOPLE, TAGS, SOURCES, etc. Can anyone give me any explanation of why the SQZ files might be so much smaller than my previous SQZ files? Is this something to alarmed about? I have removed all sync operations with Dropbox as that might have been interfering with BACKUP. I went back and reran BACK UP Just to be sure I had not changed something. SQZ is still the same smaller file.

By way of reference I am running Windows 10, and last version of TMG is Version 9.05.

Nancy

You can browse a .SQZ file to check its contents by changing the file type from .SQZ to .ZIP and browse it with Windows Explorer (called File Explorer in Windows 10).

You can test a .SQZ file by restoring it to a different folder (such as a new subfolder in the projects folder) and checking the restored project.

Jim,

This maybe the second messge you get from me. Think I hit the send button before I was ready.

As you suggested I changed the SQZ extensions to ZIP and was able to look at the files. The larger SQZ file has 86 items in it and the smaller one 156 items. The missing files in the larger SQZ-86 are mostly .FLT items which I think I can live without, that is as long at the my data is OK and individuals are still linked. I really don't know what I am suppose to be looking for.

I also did a RESTORE with the smaller SQZ file. And still have all 14,804 names of my original date in the Expanded Picklist.

Am I just being paranoid about the size of the SQZ file or could I inadvertently done something that is going to cause me trouble down the line. I am very nervous about this situation. And appreciate the help you offer.

The filters were omitted because that backup option was not selected. Typically, a project backup should include the project data files, the accents and the filters. Anything beyond that is optional. Anything created/added by the program installer doesn't need to be included other than unusual items such as a customized language file.

The only thing that I include in a backup are the project data files, the accents and the filters. Everything else, I manage outside of TMG. My backup for about 4,000 people is around 1,600 Kb.

People have brought up the sizes of their backups for years. Just make sure that the items that you want to backup are selected and you'll be OK. And make sure that your backups are copied to a destination off of the computer where they were made.

What a relief, and to think I could have been saving all that time and space all these years. Thanks a million and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I know I will just knowing I didn't lose all my data.

Nancy