rlgleason51

Handling spouses in Descendant box chart

I am trying to create a descendant box chart for one of my lines, using the line flag = Y as the criteria. when the chart is displayed in VCF, the spouse is id'd as 'Unknown Person'. I know the spouse is not considered a descendant, but I would like the spouse to be identified.

So far, I've gotten around this by setting their line flag from N to Y, which I do not consider ideal.

How do others handle this issue? By not including the spouses? If so, how do I remove the 'unknown person' box?

Thanks.

I've read the manual and help topics trying to solve this problem of the spouses name not printing. How can I print then name of a descendants' spouse in my descendant box chart?

Bob,

If I'm understanding, you have created a Flag the family line that is set to Y for descendants of that line, but not for their spouses. Then you are specifying that this Flag must be set to Y in order to include them in the chart. Is that the case?

If so, you can't have it both ways. If you specify that only people with the Flag set to Y, you will only get people with the Flag set to Y. As long as you don't set the Flag to Y for the spouses they will not be included. You will have to either remove the Flag restriction on the chart or set the Flag to Y for the spouses.

The purpose of that Flag option is to limit those who appear in the chart to those with the specified setting. There is no provision for exceptions to that setting if you use it.

I understand now. I assumed that since the spouse box appeared in the box chart as an unknown person when their flag=N, that there was a reason why their name did appear. Is a 'focuse group' the best way to approach this issue?

Which leads to a larger question: I've operated under the philosophy that a spouse is not a descendant and therefore had the flags set accordingly. Is this an appropriate position to have?

What others options are available to having the spouse identified on the descendant chart without having their flag set so?

Thanks.

I understand now. I assumed that since the spouse box appeared in the box chart as an unknown person when their flag=N, that there was a reason why their name did appear.

There is. The spouses don't have the Flag set to Y, so they don't exist as far as the chart is concerned. Thus they are "unknown."

Is a 'focuse group' the best way to approach this issue?

A Focus Group will do nothing for you. You cannot use a Focus Group to control who is in a chart. A Focus Group can only be used to control the starting persons of a chart. If you use a focus group you will get a set of charts, one starting with each person in the FG.

Which leads to a larger question: I've operated under the philosophy that a spouse is not a descendant and therefore had the flags set accordingly. Is this an appropriate position to have?

There is no "appropriate position." The Flag is not a standard Flag. You invented it, so it means whatever you want it to. Why did you invent it and what do you hope too use it for?

What others options are available to having the spouse identified on the descendant chart without having their flag set so?

Turning of the Flag Restriction. Why did you turn it on in the first place? A Descendants Box Chart will include only descendants and their spouses by definition so I don't see how it could be helpful.

As usual, I made things more difficult than needed to be AND I forgot what I had done. I made the flags to accent my tag for the various DIRECT lines. Having forgotten why and how I used them, I tried to use them to generate my descendants chart.

Thanks for returing me to the land of simplicity.