JanisR

Master Event List window garbled from withing Master Place List

Happy New Year!!

I am working on next week’s presentation for the Arlington RUG on the MPL and place cleanup. I cannot get TMG to work properly. When I open the Master Place List, select a place in the list, and then click on the Events button on the right, I get the list of events for that place but the top is garbled. (It mirrors a few lines from the MPL above the place selected with some vertical bars it you click in it.) With the top part of the Event List missing, you cannot click on the Event and open it or go to either of the Principals to change the place entry from within the tag. Something I planned to demonstrate.

I have used this feature many times, but not in a couple of years…

I got the same result on both of my machines:

Desktop - IMac running Parallels Windows 7 and TMG 9.05
Laptop - Windows machine running Windows 10 and TMG 9.05.

I tried closing everything on the Apple side and emptying all cache; closing and reopening TMG; restarting Windows and Parallels then TMG, rebooting; rebooting iMac, rebooting iMac without second monitor, etc. Then I tried the laptop. No luck!

I was wondering if it is only me but the RUG EC members have checked their TMG and are not seeing this problem.

So I downloaded a fresh copy of the TMG9installer off the WhollyGenes forum. Then I ran repair. Still did not fix the problem. Then I uninstalled TMG and reinstalled. STILL the same garbled/mirrored headong on the MEL opened from within the MPL. The top of the MEL looks right when it is opened from the Tools menu...

I am out of ideas and would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks!

Jan

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

VP Arlington Roots Users Group

post-117-0-77858300-1483797669_thumb.png

Never seen this issue. Looks like you have eliminated program corruption or an installation problem as the source.

Since this needs to be unique to both of your computers, are you running an external application on both systems that could be interfering?

Jim, I only run TMG Utility, Second Site and TMG 9 on my windows computers. I run Chrome or Edge on the laptop and Firefox or Safari on the Mac desktop. I do not use the internet from the Parallels/Win7 side. I have Office 2010 on the laptop, but not the desktop. I have Office for Mac on the Mac side. I run dropbox on the laptop and iMac but not on the Windows side of my iMac...

I have two different virus protection programs but they are both Microsoft. The Win7/iMac desktop runs Microsoft Security Essentials and the laptop runs Windows Defender.

I am trying the uninstall reinstall of the laptop with Defender turned off... Wish me luck!

Wonder if whatever is causing this problem is also contributing to the backup problem I have been having. I have been unable to get a decent back in about a year. Everyone kept telling me to ask you, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by JanisR

When I uninstalled and reinstalled TMG 9 on the laptop, removing the TMG 9 folders, it started the install and when I clicked launch after an supposedly successful install, the windows installer for Microsoft 2010 started running. I had to tell it I did not want to install... twice. Then TMG open up and I clicked on the Sample project and it again started the Windows installer for Office 2010. I cancelled it. When the sample finally opened. I immediately open the MPL picked a place and clicked Events and the top is still garbled the same way... The same thing happened on the parallels/Win7 desktop.

Wish I knew what is going on.

I downloaded from the v9 US link on the WhollyGenes v9 forum... The size of the installer is 47,651 KB.

OK - my husband let me install TMGv9 on his Parallels/Win10 computer. It has never seen TMG before. Several screens came up with questions including the language warning about custom language. These windows never came up when I reinstalled on the laptop or the desktop.

I opened the Sample project, it opened as the basic vs advanced version of TMG. This did not happen on my reinstalls! I then opened the MPL, selected on place and clicked Event and the Master Event List filter for that place came up with the top part of the window intact!

Sounds like there are still pieces of TMG in the registry. On the laptop, I have two TMGv9 folders in documents under two profiles: Jan and Administrator. The new one from today's is in the Jan profile's TMGv9 folder.

Any suggestions?

OK, I just opened an old TMG v8 project in the TMG v8 folder. I open it up in TMG v9 on the iMac/Win7 desktop. The MPL and Events button work as they should... I tried the Sample in the TMG v8 folder, it has the garbled top. I went back to the 2013 project that had just worked, and the top of the MEL open from the MPL was now garbled like all the other porjects except the version of TMG on my husband's computer...

I closed the Sample and reopened it on Manny's computer and MPL > Events > MEL still works properly. This is so frustrating!

I said:

When I uninstalled and reinstalled TMG 9 on the laptop, removing the TMG 9 folders, it started the install and when I clicked launch after an supposedly successful install, the windows installer for Microsoft 2010 started running. I had to tell it I did not want to install... twice. Then TMG open up and I clicked on the Sample project and it again started the Windows installer for Office 2010. I cancelled it. When the sample finally opened. I immediately open the MPL picked a place and clicked Events and the top is still garbled the same way... The same thing happened on the parallels/Win7 desktop.

Wish I knew what is going on.

Both computers have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010... My husband's does not. Could it be that program? I will try removing it from my desktop since I use the Office for Mac anyway...

Edited by JanisR

The Basic vs. Advanced setting comes from the app.ini. That remains in place when you uninstall and reinstall. The Basic choice is the default for new installations as you discovered.

You can always make a copy and delete that file to start with all default _program_ settings. TMG will create the app.ini file the next time that it is run.

C:\Users\user account name\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v9\app.ini

%%%%%%%%%%

I have no idea how the installers get intertwined (running the TMG installer and having some other installer appear). Users have reported that phenomenon for many years.

Well, I removed Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 from the desktop and reinstalled TMG. Still garble MEL from MPL Events button... I am getting ready to call it quits with TMG. Between this and being unable to properly backup, I have just about had it.

Hi, Jim! When I deleted the entire folder under AppData\Roaming and reinstalled, it worked! I am still missing report configurations and accents but I can go back to the copies I made on my external drive and find those! I am also missing my preferences but I'll try and figure out what they were... Maybe I will do a presentation on getting all my settings back....

Thanks, Jim!

Sincerely,

Jan

BTW - MS Office is still trying to reinstall when I open TMG or TMG Utility on my laptop! I cannot remove MS Office as I need it on the laptop, unlike my desktop. You can see what happened on the video of my presentation Saturday January 14th. I tried all the fixes for this on the Microsoft site and while it now takes fewer cancellations, the installer still pops up and starts to run. Guess I will live with it!