Sign in to follow this  
AndyCarpenter

Guidance for a TMG Newbie

I would appreciate some guidance.

My mother, turning 93 this week, has collected an enormous amount of information in TMG 8. While none of my generation have her genealogical bent, we are very interested in capturing the fruit of her labor (e.g., importing into a currently supported program or reporting to a very large PDF).

I have a few questions that perhaps some of you can help me with:

1. Is the best first step to move to TMG 9? If so, is it sill possible to buy a license for TMG 9 by contacting harry.goegebeur@genea.be? If so, is there a cost and does that take long?
  2. I have browsed some of the TMG 8 reporting, but don't see a report that provides a comprehensive listing of information, images, etc. Is there something like that in TMG 8 or 9?
  3. Is there any good, currently supported genealogy application that accepts TMG 8 or 9 data for import?

Thanks very much for reading/suggesting.

Andy Carpenter

My mother, turning 93 this week, has collected an enormous amount of information in TMG 8. While none of my generation have her genealogical bent, we are very interested in capturing the fruit of her labor (e.g., importing into a currently supported program or reporting to a very large PDF).

I have a few questions that perhaps some of you can help me with:

• Is the best first step to move to TMG 9? If so, is it sill possible to buy a license for TMG 9 by contacting harry.goegebeur@genea.be? If so, is there a cost and does that take long?
  • I have browsed some of the TMG 8 reporting, but don't see a report that provides a comprehensive listing of information, images, etc. Is there something like that in TMG 8 or 9?
  • Is there any good, currently supported genealogy application that accepts TMG 8 or 9 data for import?

Andy,

Since no one is ready to continue her work now, the need to upgrade to TMG9 for your use is not really there. However I suspect you will have better luck importing to another program if you start with the current version of TMG. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will chime in.

Yes, you can buy a license from Harry. There is a cost, but you would have to get that from him. The time it takes is the time it takes you to exchange emails, and for you to download the installer.

There are several types of reports that will output the data she has entered. An Ancestor or Descendants report like the Journal will capture the data and put it in narrative form, but how well that will read depends on how she entered the data. These reports show relationships between parents and children. They can include images if they are saved as exhibits.

The more traditional genealogical reports, the Family Group Sheet and Pedigree charts will not provide narrative output, but do show relationships. The FGS can show all of the events that are recorded.

I think one of the above types will capture the most information.

The Individual Detail report shows the most detail of what is recorded about each person but does not include any parent/child relationship information.

There are several decent programs that can directly import TMG data. None can capture all of what TMG can record, but how much is lost depends on exactly how the TMG data has been entered and which features have been used. The loss may be significant, or may not be. Those with experience with these imports can provide more specific information, and hopefully will.