Judy M.

Number of people in particular family?

Someone has asked me how many descendants are in one of the many families I'm tracking within one TMG project. Is there an easy way to determine this? I don't have any focus groups set up, if that would have helped.

Thanks in advance!

Judy Madnick

Judy,

Sure. Create a List of People Report with a filter like:

Is a Descendant ... of ID# ... {enter ID number of ancestor] ... END

When the Filter Progress screen appears you can read the number of people on the right.

You don't need the actual report; you can even cancel it as soon as it starts to generate.

Judy,

Best way I know for that is to "begin" to create a Focus Group. First if there are people in the current Group when you open the Focus Group window make sure the Group is empty by clicking Remove All. Also for getting only the count be sure the Name variations box is not ticked. Then add one individual, the ancestor of interest. Next tick the Descendants box and set the number of Generations desired, e.g. 99. and also tick the Spouses box. Now click Add Others. Finally click the Select All button, and click the Add Others again. This will give all descendants and all their spouses. I think that is what you want? You do not need to save this Focus Group, just read the count of names in this group at the top.

By the way, Judy,

Perhaps? what you really want to add are both the spouses and any genetic descendants of those spouses but who are not genetic descendants of the ancestor, e.g. children of a spouse by other partners. If so, when you finish above, click the Select All button again, and click the Add Others again. Now the count will include "family" descendants who are not direct genetic descendants since a child of a spouse by another partner has no genetic relationship to the ancestor of interest.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks for the suggestions! It's not imperative that the number is 100% accurate, but a relative asked me how many entries I have in a particular tree. I appreciate your help! That was kinda' fun. :-)