rlgleason51

Backing up to iCloud for windows

I was thinking of installing apple's iCloud for windows to facilitate syncing my database between my two Macs. (I am running parallels).

What are the pitfalls of,doing this?

Exclude all the TMG program and data folders from automatic backup by any software. Use TMG to create a backup within a TMG folder. Only then copy or move the TMG .sqz backup file to a folder which the cloud software will back up

For clarification, I was talking about using TMG backup when backing up to iCloud then restoring from there on my laptop. Does this change anything?

Edited by rlgleason51

No. The folder where TMG writes the backup file should be on the local disk and not either be in the Cloud or be in a folder being backed up to the iCloud. Only when TMG has completed creating its backup file should you then copy or move that TMG .sqz backup file to where it can be synced to the iCloud.

What are the pitfalls of,doing this?

If any other program, whether a backup sync program or an antivirus monitor, is monitoring the folder where TMG is creating the backup then that other program "could" interfere with TMG writing the file and cause it to be corrupted. Will it always interfere? No. But enough users have noted that it "sometimes" will interfere that avoiding the possibility altogether is the only sure way to get an uncorrupted backup.

Let TMG do its thing on its own. Then move the file so the sync program can do its thing on its own.

Do the same thing in reverse when you restore. Retrieve the backup file from the iCloud to a non-TMG folder, then move it to a local TMG folder and have TMG restore it from there. This is the best way to keep each program from interfering with the other.