rlgleason51

List of Direct descendants report

I recently created a List of Descendants report for one of my lines. It listed only the names (indented) of the my direct ancestors for that one line. I saved the report layout because I wanted to use it for my other lines, and promptly lost it when I had to do a reinstall of Windows, although I would have thought it would have been saved in my backups.

​Anyway, I cannot for the life me remember how I did it. Could it have been the list of people report? I know that I did not have to create a focus group; I did not use flags; and I think I entered the ID for my most distant ancestor for that line, plus my ID.

The format of the report, which I created Feb 23, 2017, is as follows:

Indented for each generation:

(1) Name of ancestor

+ Spouse

(2) name of next ancestor

+ spouse.

Etc.

Help. How can I recreate this report?

Thanks.

Edited by rlgleason51

The structure of the report you are describing is one of the Descendant Indented reports. What’s confusing to me is your terminology, “Name of next ancestor”. The base person of a Descendant Indented report is the earliest ancestor of a particular family, and each indentation level is a later generation, or “descendant” rather than a “next ancestor”. Reading indentation levels from left to right people are descendants, from right to left they are ancestors.

One does not specify both a beginning and end person to the Descendant Indented report. Rather, that sounds like an Ahnentafel – Direct Line report. In this report you specify two people who are in a direct line to each other—I guess it doesn’t matter which one is the ancestor and which one is the descendant at that point, the software can figure it out. But the base person in the resultant report is the descendant, the next person is one of his/her parents, next after that is a grandparent of the base person, and so on, ending with the earliest ancestor of the selection. (There is no text indentation in this report. Paragraphs are all flush to the left margin, and generation headings are centered. The report can either include or exclude spouses and various other event tags associated with each successive ancestor. The printout style is narrative paragraph text, rather than like a chart.)

Edited by wlcornelius

I agree with the previous post, to get what you describe sounds like a bare-bones Descendant Indented Chart with the Report Destination to an unformatted Text file.

I say "bare-bones" because to have only the names you would have to set the Report Options to exclude most information:

Sources Tab: none

Memos Tab: none

Sort By tab: birth date

Tags tab: untick all boxes

Names tab: Identifiers=none

But again you cannot specify the beginning and end person for this report type, as this is not a direct line report. You can only specify the Number of generations on the General tab of the report options. I can't think of a way at the moment to get a direct line report with only the names as you describe.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks to you both for responding. I gues I must have done some editing of the report but I sure don't remember doing so.

I'lll fingered it out.

Bob,

There is a report (other than the Ahnentafel - Direct Line report) which will show a direct line between two people: Relationship Chart.

You can "somewhat" limit the amount of output to get "close" to only having the names. You will still get the BMD dates, but you can delete those if you want. To get this report close to "bare-bones" use the following Report Options with the Report Destination to an unformatted Text file:

Names tab: Identifiers=none

Places tab: Use selected place fields but uncheck all fields, preposition=blank

Miscellaneous tab: Check Closest relationship only

That will produce three extra lines for the ancestor (b. d. m.) and two for their spouse (b. d.)

By deleting just those extra lines you should get what you were describing.

Hope this gives you ideas,