Sign in to follow this  
lniesen

Just upgrading from TMG 7.04 to TMG 9

I have been side-tracked for some time with illness in my family and am just now addressing a problem I have. I have a large database on TMG 7.04 on my old computer (Win7) and have since purchased a new laptop on which I also have Win7. I would like to update to TMG 9.

I sent an email to the address listed in the "final install" post several days ago but haven't gotten a reply. Does that still work?

Also, will I be able to back up my TMG 7.04 and restore to TMG 9 to use my database?

I understand that TMG isn't supported any longer but I really love the program and want to use it for as long as possible. Thank you for any assistance.

Len

I sent an email to the address listed in the "final install" post several days ago but haven't gotten a reply. Does that still work?

Harry should respond. Give him a chance.

Also, will I be able to back up my TMG 7.04 and restore to TMG 9 to use my database?

Yes.

Thank you very much, Terry. I haven't been on this forum for years, but I'm glad to see you're still around. You saved me many headaches when I was getting started with TMG.

I also use version 7.04 (UK edition) and I have never done any updates/upgrades to this program. I initially purchased one of the earliest versions and gradually, over the years, upgraded by purchasing the update discs from the UK distributor, with the installation Serial Number each time.

I have only recently discovered that TMG is being discontinued!

This has only just come to light for me, as I got a problem adding more and more Exhibits. It stopped allowing me to add anything, so I did what it says in the help file re. altering the image thumbnails in the Preferences, etc., but it states that a certain file is too large when I switch to showing/not showing icons in the Exhibit windows. So I'm a bit stuck.....

My question is;- What do I do now?

I have virtually almost transferred my entire information into my Ancestry Tree Account but would still like to carry on using TMG, as I have so much detailed information in it that can't be added to Ancestry.....

Preferably, I would like to purchase the most up to date version, if possible, but don't know how to go about it.

Where can I get it?

How do I install it?

Can I use my Existing Serial Number, etc. etc. ?

Could someone guide me through it?

Kindest Regards,

Danny.

You can find your answers about how to get TMG v9.05 here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers-v905/

And refer to Terry's link above about moving from TMG v7.04 to v9.05.

You usually shouldn't have issues with exhibits unless you have internal exhibits. There are limits for the FoxPro database size (see the link below) but TMG becomes very sluggish long before that is reached. I could see the limits being hit for the exhibit table because of the thumbnails if you have a vast number of image exhibits. The only option would be to reduce the thumbnail size. Both TMG7 and TMG9 have the same limits.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa975385(v=vs.71).aspx

Note that RootsMagic will soon have a sync feature for Ancestry trees (some screenshots were shown a few days ago) and the SQLite database limits are much higher than Visual FoxPro. The theoretical SQLite database size limit can't be reached with current hardware.

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. Was a great help! :clap:

All my Exhibits are (or have always been) set as internal. Just tried adding a pic as an external and worked fine. Will use and keep all external files in the Exhibits folder in the future.....so that TMG can find them OK when backing up....There are possibly thousands of internal ones by now from all over the place! :oops:

Will look at your other suggestions in due course....

Thanks once again, Danny.

Danny,

You can move internal _image_ exhibits to external exhibits using TMG Utility. That would reduce the size of your TMG database (assuming that you have internal image exhibits).

http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/

Your TMG7 registration information consists of your first name, your last name, your email address, and the registration number. All of these must be exactly as listed in the registration email that you received from Wholly Genes. The TMG9 registration information would be specified when you purchase a TMG9 registration.

JIm

If your goal is Ancestry trees, then I would second Jim's suggestion to think about RootsMagic in the future. Personally I am sticking with TMG for now and would recommend upgrading to Version 9, but several users have switched to RootsMagic since it has the ability to import TMG directly using the TMG database files. The RootsMagic document "Moving data from TMG to RootsMagic" describing importing directly from TMG states:

"The recommended TMG versions to use for import are 7.04, 8.08, or later."

so you could convert your existing 7.04 database.

Also you may not be aware that John Cardinal has written a new program GedSite which is becoming as powerful as SecondSite, his companion program for TMG. GedSite will accept as input a GEDCOM file exported from several programs, including RootsMagic, permit adding customizations for the narrative sentences, and then produce a complete set of web pages for a genealogy site. GedSite is in its early stages right now, and John is actively adding features weekly, but it is already capable of creating extremely full featured web pages from data exported from programs like RootsMagic.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks again to Jim and Michael also.

I will download and install the V9UK (I want to continue using TMG).

Once it is installed do I then have to purchase a licence, or can I use it with my original Serial Number?

I don't have my original registration information......must have disappeared over time?

Kindest Regards to all on the forum,

Danny.

Danny,

If you download and install TMG 9 you will have a 30-day free trial. To continue using it after that you need a TMG 9 license, which you can currently purchase from Harry as Jim's link above directs.

I contacted Harry on March 2 about buying the TMG9 license and still haven't heard from him. I contacted him again today.

I am going on a genealogy research trip on April 3 so I am concerned about getting my data transferred to my new computer in time. If I don't hear from him soon, and if I can find my original TMG7 download file from my old computer, can I copy it and install TMG7 on the new one?

I have emailed Harry twice but still haven't had a reply.

Thank you, Jim, for the TMG7 installer so I could get that installed on my new computer as a stopgap measure, and I've done that. I'd really like to upgrade to TMG9, though.

Is Harry okay?

Len

Edited by lniesen