rlgleason51

Handling sons of the American revolution info

I have applications applying for membership in the SAR from ancestors, which lists their genealogy. I would like to add this info to the individuals but am not sure which source and tag to use.

Thoughts are appreciated.

If you have copies of the actual applications, I would use the standard Lineage Application source type to create the sources. If you instead have only indexes I would use other source types.

I don't consider applying for a lineage society a recordable event, so I wouldn't use any specific tag for that. I do cite the applications as sources in all the tags that record the information found there - Name, Birth, Marriage, Death, and Military Service.

Thanks Terry. I have the actual application but the only Lineage Application source type is one I have to create the sentences for (footnote, short notes, etc), for which I have previously heavily relied on Michaels website for. Is here a template I can refer to?

Huh? As Terry pointed out, TMG has a default Mills 'Lineage Application' source type that can be a model for creating any custom lineage application source type that you wish to create.

The lineage-society application source type that Mills models in her newer Evidence Explained is actually much simpler and better.

Full footnote...

File, membership no., organization, repository, repository location

Short footnote...

File, no., organization

Bibliography...

Organization, collection, repository, repository, repository location.

File is... "Membership application, person's name"

Collection is... "Application files"

The other fields are self-explanatory.

This template can be built for any membership society.

Mills also has a template for lineage-society records online database.

Jim (& terry) - This is what I see:

1. I access Master Source List

2. I Select 'Add' from them options list

3. I do not see the 'Lineage Application' source from he list, so I then

4. Select add again. From the custom source type screen, I open the drop menu for 'Most similar to:

5. and there I find the Lineage Application source, with blank sections for sentences.

Related question (which may solve issue):

while is step 3 above, I did notice an option to 'Initialize' which took me to a screen to select the custom source type (Mills or Lackey). However, I did not do this because it advised that any data entry templates associated with each source type would be overwritten. That gave me great pause so I stopped, as I was fearful that all sources I had entered would be lost.

Bob,

You are well advised not to use Initialize - it would indeed make a total mess of your source types and sources.

If you don't have a Lineage Application Source Type it has apparently been deleted from your project.

You can create a new one, either using the templates Jim shows above, or using the original ones, which are:

Full Footnote:

Lineage application of [sUBJECT], [APPLIED TO].

Short Footnote:

[APPLIED TO], [sUBJECT].

Biblo:

[APPLIED TO], Application of [sUBJECT].

Reminder:

Source Definition:
- Title - not used in output; optionally enter a description.
- Subject - enter the name of the subject of the application in the form "GivenName Surname".
- Applied to - enter the name of the lineage organization.
- Volume - enter the volume number, e.g. "volume 456" (optional).
- File Number - enter the file number of the application, e.g., "national no. 12345" (optional).
- Comments (Supplemental tab) - enter comments about the letter (optional).
Citation:
- Citation Detail - enter notes about how the source supports information in the tag (optional).
My Source Type is a variation of the default one:
Full Footnote:
[sUBJECT] application, [APPLIED TO], approved [DATE].
Short Footnote:
[sUBJECT] application, [APPLIED TO].
The [sF GIVEN NAME] element is a custom one to insert the given name in the full footnote when I have multiple sources from subjects with the same surname.

Terry

Thanks. I was preparing for the worse. Now tell me it I dodged a bullet. I backup my desktop data base and restored t on my laptop. I then initialed Mills on my laptop. I then compared my sources between the two computers (sorry, I had to have both opened at the same time).

I found, to my surprise, that I had the same number (and names) of sources on both. does this mean the I can initialize without data loss? Or am I not seeing the real damage that would occur?

Initialize reverts any source types that have been customized to default, reverts any custom source types to their default fall-back source type, and reverts any sources that use custom source types to the default fall-back source type and reverts any sources with customized templates back to the default templates.

Basically, if you have customized any default source types, created customized source types, or have any sources using customized source types or have custom local templates, your customizations destroyed and those sources that were using any customizations are corrupted.

You should NEVER use the initialize option.

Thanks Jim.

I was looking at the Mills sources on my laptop and found many that I do not have in my official project. Sources for DAR, military career, etc. Is there any way I can incorporate them in my main project without damage? I am not well versed in creating templates. what do the "import' 'export' options do and can they be used to merge my sources?

I believe that you mean source types. All of the default TMG Mills source types should be in your 'official' project. I can't imagine why they would not be in your 'official' project unless you began your project using Lackey source types or deleted those default source types that are missing.

You can create a new project and export those source types not in your 'official' project and then import them to your 'official' project.

Thanks. I was preparing for the worse. Now tell me it I dodged a bullet. I backup my desktop data base and restored t on my laptop. I then initialed Mills on my laptop. I then compared my sources between the two computers (sorry, I had to have both opened at the same time).

I found, to my surprise, that I had the same number (and names) of sources on both. does this mean the I can initialize without data loss? Or am I not seeing the real damage that would occur?

Bob,

If you really mean Sources, and not Source Types, of course you see the same Source. But try to print notes for them and you will see a total mess if you have done any customization of Source Types.

If you mean Source Types, you will have the same number of Source Types, but the Templates will be restored to the original and any Sources you created based on your customized Source Types will not produce the same notes as before.

Thanks Jim. I will try that. I don't know what happened but I do know with complete certainty that t have not deleted any source types and I don't recall ever specifying lackey or mills.

Bob,

Since you referred to my book, you can look in the Source Templates chapter here which does have the default "Lineage Application" source type included in alphabetical order. (I don't have a link to it at the top of the chapter since I don't use it myself.) Further, my custom source types of LDS Patron Sheets and LDS Pedigree Resource are extremely general purpose and could be used as examples for creating a custom source type to use for these applications.

Hope this gives you ideas,

P.S. Oops... I now notice that I have the notation (an '*') on the Full Footnote and Bibliography templates for the Lineage Application source type which indicates I customized those templates in the past but then decided not to use them. I completely trust Terry's post above specifying the original templates to be correct.

Edited by Michael Hannah
Correction of templates

Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided to try Jim's original suggestion to create a dummy project, then export and import the source types. Worked like a charm.