SSCS

Norton tagging forum as unsafe

I've had the following problem for the last two days. When I try to get to the www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index page to logon, Norton flags it as an unsafe page. I can continue to the site and eventually get logged in. I clicked on the details in the warning and got the following: name of threat Trojan Malscript and the address (not what I expected) //blog.whollygenes.com

Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know why it is happening?

Sue

I'm getting no such reports from NOD32.

I'm using Norton Security Suite ver. 22.9.0.71...

Been using for at least a year, just started getting message yesterday.

I've used Norton for quite a few years and like Paul said, I just started getting the message yesterday. I've been thinking about changing to another, but dread redoing customizations.

Sue

I tried that. Still didn't work. Perhaps a problem with Norton's Identity Safe? Or IE. Will try a different browser and no automatic logon.

Sue

Okay, Used Edge (no Norton toolbar or safe installed) and had no problem. Will check Firefox and IE again after disabling Safe Search (I think the more likely culprit in Norton).

Sue

After disabling Safe Search (maybe not a good idea for all sites), I could go straight through the log in procedure with no error messages to disregard. I did use Norton's procedure to have them re-evaluate the page, but have no idea how long a fix, if there is one, will take place. Meanwhile I'm definitely thinking of switching to another security package as an add on to native Windows.

Sue

How do you remove Safe Search from Firefox? I tried it but it doesn't seem to take. Under options removed from search options and removed from toolbar. Sitll get warning message.

Unfortunately I had to turn Safe Search off in Norton. There is an option to turn it off for a limited amount of time, until you reboot your system or permanently. Turning it off for a limited amount of time, just to access this site works. You can also click on the red x labeling the site as unsafe (or the message that might appear at the top of the screen) to allow access anyway. If you've got your password vault open, you'll then get another message that will ask you whether you want to autofill anyway. So you can log on even when Safe Search flags the site, you just have to go through a lot of hoops to do that.

Sue

I've modified my Norton safe surfing settings to turn of just the 'block malicious pages'. This will notify you that they think the page is unsafe, but allow you to log on to the site. This still allows Norton safe search to evaluate sites. Seems a lot of their non-recommendations are simply made because the site isn't very active. This is very likely on this site. What is the purpose of the chat forum? Can anyone tell me?

Chat forum - There were once periodic live chats with Bob Velke... a long time ago.

The Chat Archive forum has transcripts of those chats.

Thanks Jim. By the way everybody, this morning Norton 360 no longer tagged this site as unsafe and I no longer had to ignore it and log in anyway. Perhaps they finally listened to myself and other users telling them this was an okay site. It seems sometimes if a site has little traffic they label it as not safe.

Sue