I have a situation where records show an ancestor immigrated here in 1684 (apparently by himself) and then again in 1709 with three of his sons. M initial thought was to treat the first as his immigration, then the second as immigration for each of his sons with him as a witness. How do others handle this?

My thinking is that one can't immigrate to the same country twice. Either the first trip was a visit, followed by a later immigration, or the second was a trip to the old country to bring other family members.

Assuming the available information supports the belief that he came to stay the first time, I'd record it as the former, which is what I've done in a couple of such cases I've found. I'd probably use Immigration Tags for both but record in the Memo, and by changes to the Sentence, that the father "returned to... and brought back..."

Thanks. As the second immigration records shows him with three sons, I'm thinking a return trip for family records. I've ordered a book dealing with the migration of this family so hopefully I'll get additional info in support.

Either way, I like your method of handling the data.