Sign in to follow this  
martielee

split gedcom

Is there a way to export a gedcom with only my side of the family (ancestors, uncles, cousins, everyone) without including those of my ex-husband? I have thousands of names in the database so creating a focus group by individually selecting each person is just not efficient. I can’t figure out how to create a focus group for what I want. Or is there another way?

Thanks,

Marlene

Marline,

It may help as you collect people into the Focus Group to temporarily make your marriage to your ex non-primary so the Add Others steps described in the article don't follow his line.

I have tried this over and over - all afternoon - and I'm frustrated. I get all of the required people, but they are not connected to each other. Spouses are not connected to each other and children are not connected to the parents. I can't figure out what I'm overlooking. I think I'm following Terry's steps exactly.

When I import the gedcom into a new project, there are no children or spouses listed for anyone. I can select search and see them in the database, but they just are not connected to anyone.

I also get a long list of error 6908, such as

6908 Warning : The GEDCOM file appears to be invalid. Missing Pointer : S1015.
6908 Warning : The GEDCOM file appears to be invalid. Missing Pointer : S318.

Marlene,

Back in 2014 you were having problems generating GEDCOM files due to your McAfee's 'Real TIme Scanning' interfering with TMG. Did you remember to turn this off? As also discussed back then, do you have the 0 TRLR end-of-file tag in the GEDCOM file.

Ah! I had run this 21 times (numbered my files so as to keep up). #20 seems to have worked and does have the 0 TRLR end of file. I imported it into a new project and all looks well.

Not sure what I did differently that time, but I'll try again with different ancestor.

Thanks for your help.

If you are not getting the TRLR at the end something is interfering with TMG writing the GEDCOM. It has nothing to do with which people you are including, but with some other program operating on your computer on the folder where TMG is writing the GEDCOM.

The usual suspects are cloud backup programs and some antivirus programs.