I have a source that lists two generations of a family, complete with B, D dates and spouses. I would like to cite this source one time wit the head of the family and link it to the remaining members.

Will the Family tag do this?

Bob,

How would you cite this for the head of the family? Citations are attached to Tags - names, events, or relationships. They cannot be attached to people.

The Family Tag is not a standard Tag, so you must have created it. How do you use it? You could cite the Source in that Tag and have it appear for everyone in the family, but only if you attach everyone in the family as a Witness to that Tag.

How do you want this Citation to be seen? In reports? Which types? From on-screen? It's hard to imagine how it would be very useful without a clear plan for it's display.

Unless the family tag is part of Mills, I don't know where it came from. I did not create it.

In terms of how I would use it is like you describe. Adding the tag to the most distant ancestor listed on the document, then add the family members as witnesses with appropriate roles, I.e., son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, etc.

Then attach the document to the tag as an exhibit.

Mills has to do with Source Types, not Tags, so that can't be the origin of it.

Your use however is close to what I hypothesized. You attach the Tag to the earliest ancestor of a line and everyone else as Witnesses. But you said first you wanted to "cite" the document. You Cite a document in TMG by creating a Source for it, then creating a Citation to that Source. But you say you are attaching the document as an Exhibit. That's a very different thing than creating a Citation.

By creating a Tag with each member of the family attached as Principal or Witness you can of course attach an Exhibit or a Citation, or both. You will get quite different results in reports from a Citation or an Exhibit, so one may better serve your purposes.

Yes, you are right, I create the source and cite it for the tag, then attach the doc as an exhibit to the tag. I was thinking faster than I was typing.

I have no idea where th 'Family' tag came from. This is not the first time I found oddities with my tags. Awhile back, this forum made reference to tags I did not have (of course I can't remember which ones).

Edited by rlgleason51