wingfield

"religion" on ancestor chart

folks,

has anyone ever put together an ancestor chart (or descendant chart) and displayed the religion of each individual? I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to do this. I'm thinking the "religion" tag; but not sure which fields to use. I typically use memo field for this type of entry; but not sure that's a practical output on a chart. thoughts?

thank you,

David

David,

You can't include Other Event Tags in charts, so you cannot directly reflect religion based on information recored in Tags.

However with box charts you can set accent colors based on Flags. So if you record the information in a Flag you could display people's religion by use of colors. If you have religion recorded in tags you could use the secondary output of the List of People or List of Events reports to set a Flag or Flags.

Hello Terry,

thank you for the quick reply. perhaps I'm misunderstanding your response?? if I go to the "data types" and then "box contents", I've already added "religion*memo"; so it appears I can add other types of tags???

not thinking I understand.

thank you,

David

I am not sure I understand Terry's reply either. Sure you can include information from "Other" tags on Ancestor or Descendant Charts.

Exactly as you noted, go to the Data Types tab. Since the boxes are limited in size you can only include 9 entries in an Ancestor box, but one of these could be the Memo field from your Religion tag. Each of these 9 entries could be from a different tag type, but all people "of that type" will have the same 9 entries output.

As you mentioned, in both Male and Female ancestor box types, click on one of the unused Box contents numbered buttons. Now scroll down in the popup list to find the Religion tag and select "Religion* Memo". That will output the memo from the Primary Religion tag for the person.

You can only output the fields specified. But if you have entered their type of religion in the memo, this should work fine.

Sorry, my error.

I'd forgotten you could specify the elements of each Primary of a Tag Type in the box charts. So you can indeed include the output of the memo, so long as the Tag is primary, as it normally would be.

Glad to hear it, David. Ancestor charts with custom data in the boxes can be very useful. For example, if I know it I put the "cause" of death in Memo1 in the Death tag. Choosing that memo in a chart gives a really good indication of what illnesses run in the family.

Terry mentioned using a Flag to set Accent colors. This can make some very interesting charts. I had never thought of a chart using the Religion info, but I may try it and think a chart accented by religion would be very interesting. You could set up the Religion Flag using the List of Events report Secondary Output which would reduce the work of setting the Flag.

Lee