kurrild

Access problem / "Repair mode" / "Errror"

A few days ago I was entering data. Suddenly the program shut down, without any error message.

Subsequently I have been unable to open/access the file.

When I try to open the program, I get the message
"Repair mode: Repair mode has been activated. The application will now operate somewhat more slowly as it validates each file that is opened. Repair mode will be off again the next time that you run the application."

When I try to open the project-file, I get the message:
"An error happened when opening the data tables ..."--after which the program shuts down.

(Yes, I do have a back up, but unfortunately--stupidly!--it is about a year and three months old, and I have entered tons of material since.)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter K-K

That's what I was looking for.

If you send me the project, I'll check it and see if it can be recovered. You need to make a ZIP file of the folder with the project. Delete the .CDX files before making the ZIP. That will reduce the size of the ZIP file considerably.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

That's what I was looking for.

If you send me the project, I'll check it and see if it can be recovered. You need to make a ZIP file of the folder with the project. Delete the .CDX files before making the ZIP. That will reduce the size of the ZIP file considerably.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Thanks. That is very kind of you and much appreciated.

Since I put a lot of work in the data, and given that some of the information in it is private, will you promise me not to store it privately or upload the data to any public databases? Thanks.

I have no interest in your data and am just trying to help you and get your project working again. Over the years, I have repaired dozens of projects for TMG users.

I have no interest in your data and am just trying to help you and get your project working again. Over the years, I have repaired dozens of projects for TMG users.

Thank you very much. Very kind. I will email you a little later.

Best wishes,

Peter K-K

I have installed TMG Gold 9.05 and registered it. When I open it and try to open the Sample, I get an error message "when opening Data Tables." Also, when I open and operate TMG, it elects to operate in "Repair Mode." Any suggestions? Thank you!

Peter's project had the headers damaged in 10 of the data tables. Once those were repaired and the project was cleaned up, it worked just fine.

I have installed TMG Gold 9.05 and registered it. When I open it and try to open the Sample, I get an error message "when opening Data Tables." Also, when I open and operate TMG, it elects to operate in "Repair Mode." Any suggestions? Thank you!

This suggests that an external application is interfering with TMG, Is any syncing program accessing the TMG projects folder?

Are you running MacAffee anti-virus? You should temporarily suspend real-time virus checking by your anti-virus client and check TMG again.

Could you help me also? Lightning strike yesterday and I can no longer get to the data files. My latest backup is May 2017. I have 2 other projects and I can get to those. However, when I try to back them up I get an error about unable to open a zip file.

The zip file error usually comes from trying to back up to a destination other than a hard drive. Are you backing up to the TMG backups folder?

I can check your project. I need the 48 files that comprise the project (1 .PJC file, .29 DBF files, 18 .FPT files).

If each project is in its own folder, then you just delete the .CDX files for the project in question and make a ZIP file of the folder.

If all of the projects are in the same folder, then you should _copy_ the 48 files for the project into a new folder and ZIP up that folder.

You can contact me by clicking on the mail link below...

Jim Byram

Update... The citation table in Kyle's project had a damaged header.

Hello Jim Byram

I am also getting the same error messages.

When I try to open the program, I get the message
"Repair mode: Repair mode has been activated. The application will now operate somewhat more slowly as it validates each file that is opened. Repairmode will be off again the next time that you run the application."

When I try to open the project-file, I get the message:
"An error happened when opening the data tables ..."--after which the program shuts down.

Had a serious video problem and had to hard power down the PC while TMG was open. When I booted back up, the TMG problem appeared. Looks like I crashed and broke some files. TMG will not allow me to repair the data file myself.

thanks for your help,

R.

TMG consists of a large number of separate files, all of which must be kept in sync. I do think you "crashed and broke some files". The safest thing is to restore from the most recent backup. You do regularly back up your project, don't you?

Yes, I do regular backups when I conclude my session. However, I had worked for hours today entering data and had not yet exited and backed today's work when my video crashed. Therefore I would rather try to repair it than restore the backup from yesterday.

thanks

R,

Ralph,

You can delete the .CDX files from the project folder (to reduce the archive size) and make a ZIP file of the folder with the project and send me the ZIP file or make it available for download.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

Hi Jim

Thank you VERY much for taking your time to help me. I greatly appreciate it !!!

The zipped file was about 13MB so I uploaded it to my DropBox account and sent you the email from there.

thank you very much

R.

The person table ($) of Ralph's SchreinerFamily project had a damaged header. I fixed the header and returned the project to Ralph.