rlgleason51

Backup: include exhibits vs not including exhibits

Note: ALL exhibits are external.

I recently saw a thread on the rootsweb news list (which I cannot send queries to for some reason, but that is another topic) dealing with exhibits as part of the backup. The end result seemed to indicate that it was better not to include exhibits as part of the back up.

Up til now, I have been including my exhibits (a little over 1200) as part of my regular backup. Is this necessary? My backups go a lot faster without inclusion.

What do I gain by including my external exhibits in my backup? Or, what do I lose by not including them?

My process is that after each session, I copy my exhibits from my desktop to my laptop. I then copy my backup to and restore on my laptop, Since I run TMG on parallels on my Macs, I use iCloud drive for the transfers. This way, when I travel, everything is up to date.

Thanks.

Edited by rlgleason51

I backup only project files, accents and filters. Nothing else. I maintain exhibits outside of TMG and transfer them outside of TMG. It serves no purpose to including exhibits in the TMG backup. It's very simple to re-link the exhibits using VFI if necessary (if, for example, they are located differently on your laptop and desktop).

Bob,

You need a reliable system to backup all your important data, including your TMG backups, copies of source documents, emails, correspondence, and non-genealogical data like financial and tax records. You need to have copies of those backup both off your computer locally and away from your home. I think it is far better to include your external exhibits in that backup system and not within your TMG backups. Including them in your TMG backup makes your backup larger and slower for little or no purpose.

Thanks Terry. I already have the backup process in place. My question related to whether or not I needed to include them with my TMG backup. And I don't.